Cockerel Management

Moderator: Moderators

Cockerel Management

Postby malkered » 20 Feb 2016, 23:27

Hi All

I did a hatch last year and ended up with 14 hens and 9 cockerels. I originally had a plan to keep the hens and grow the cockerels for the table. Once the chicks hatched I found myself unable to carry out this plan and indeed now eat much less chicken! I had already made enquiries locally with a view to rehoming the cockerels and, once they were old enough I found good homes for 5 of the boys who are now each with their own hens. We have kept one cockerel with our LF hens and one bantam cockerel with our bantam hens. I spent a considerable amount of time consulting with our neighbours, several houses either side, and none are inconvenienced by the presence of the cockerels so no problem there.

The remaining two cockerels, are in a batchelor coop/run but I can't imagine that it's much of a life for them without the presence of hens.
Matt.jpg
Terry2.jpg
They are both 6 months old.

Ideally I would like to rehome them as I have the other 5 but accept that I may need to revert to the original plan and them ending up on the table.

I am in Brighton UK if anyone is interested in giving either of the boys a home :grin: but, if not, anyone who wants them for the table. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
malkered
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Cockerel Management

Postby malkered » 12 Mar 2016, 06:31

Success! Have now found each of my boys fantastic new homes.
Terry is now living in Surrey with his 10 ladies and Matt is in the East Sussex countryside with 26 ladies.

MamaOwl likes this post.
malkered
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Cockerel Management

Postby CP » 12 Mar 2016, 10:41

Well done, it's not easy to home the boys! :grin:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

MamaOwl likes this post.
CP

Liked in: 171 posts

Return to Feeding and Housing