Flooring for temporary run

Moderator: Moderators

Flooring for temporary run

Postby Smuze13 » 04 Jan 2016, 00:05

I have 5 pet chickens that usually have free range, but we are currently having some hard landscaping done in the part of the garden they live in. We have decided it would be best to bring them down into a paved patio area, and to contain their coop in a 3m X 2m run for a few weeks, adapting a soft fruit cage for the duration. I'm intending to include some timber for them to jump up onto, as I'm very aware that the ground gets sodden. The coop is raised off the ground, and does provide some dry shelter. I'm anxious to provide them with a decent environment, and have been wondering what is best to spread on the paving ... we are thinking sand, or possibly wood shavings? Any suggestions gratefully received!
Smuze13
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Flooring for temporary run

Postby Henwife » 07 Jan 2016, 22:07

Sand or pea gravel would be best for soggy ground. Wood shavings will just become saturated - the former choices ought to at least drain through and be less unpleasant for them. Also you can dig it in when the chicken move out to improve drainage - a win-win situation.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Smuze13 » 08 Jan 2016, 00:39

But on a paved surface which is where we gave to house them temporarily?
Smuze13
Chick
Chick

Postby MamaOwl » 08 Jan 2016, 10:07

I used to have our coop on a paved surface and would scatter straw over it every morning when I cleaned them out... They loved kicking about in the new straw looking for grain and things...
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 218 posts

Postby Henwife » 08 Jan 2016, 12:02

Being inherently lazy, I would still use gravel or sand on a paved area to allow the rain to wash their droppings through. Hefting wet straw every day is not for me, and I don't expect this rain to cease any time soon.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby MamaOwl » 08 Jan 2016, 12:51

It's not too bad really... a stiff yard broom to sweep it all into one corner and then a fork to hoist it into a wheel barrow or garden sack... then hose it all down while they sleep... used to take me about 20 minutes.. 30 if I was Jeyes washing it down...
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Smuze13 » 10 Jan 2016, 17:43

Thanks! We had to rethink the site .... We bought a soft fruit cage as a temporary run, prior to planting some raspberry canes this Spring. However, the cage we bought needs to be pegged into earth, so I OH has decided to place it on what's currently a rough piece of garden, and which will eventually be the site of his beehives. We've bought some pea gravel to create a less muddy patch for them. Mind you, with the promised cold snap about to bite, I'm not too optimistic about his plans to sow grass seed any time soon, which is the whole reason for containing the chooks pro tem.
Smuze13
Chick
Chick

Postby MamaOwl » 11 Jan 2016, 08:28

I know you will have done but make sure foxes can't dig their way in!
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Smuze13 » 11 Jan 2016, 11:52

Thanks! The garden is very securely fenced, the cottage was once used as a GSD rescue, plus I have two hounds ... I've never seen a fox up here in all the time we've lived here, tho I know they're about. I've been more worried about the buzzards in the vicinity, but I think the power & phone cables running overhead dissuade anything so big coming down ... never had heron strike in the pond either, tho we did when we lived in a town ... and a fox took a pet rabbit there too! I have had Sparrow Hawks, Kestrels and Hobbies take garden birds at the feeding station a few times, but I don't think they're big enough to take on the hens.
Smuze13
Chick
Chick

Postby MamaOwl » 13 Feb 2016, 10:28

Sorry i dont mean to go on but.... Our last garden was very secure, lived there for 6 years and never saw a fox in our garden, we have a dog, the neighbours had dogs, we were always out and about in the yard etc etc...

One evening hubby thought I'd shut the run, I thought he had..... All my hens were decapitated :-(

I had no idea Foxes could get over such high fences!! They must have been checking the run every night and bingo... one night of idiocy on our part and they had a ball.. didn't even eat the hens just beheaded them all!

So my advice to everyone now is always assume there is a fox and that the fox is waiting for a mistake... run on soft ground, open pop hole, unlocked nest box, forgotten hen left out.....
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Smuze13 » 13 Feb 2016, 10:41

No, they're locked away each evening as soon as the light fades. They're in a coop with its own wire & timber run underneath, with a drawbridge that closes up the pop hole, and currently the whole thing is in a metal and mesh soft fruit cage, which would make one hell of a noise if anything tried to get thru! Usually we close them up in the coop, but they get free range of the orchard during the day, but whilst we have work going on in the garden, I didn't want them being run over by a mini digger or something!
Smuze13
Chick
Chick

Return to Feeding and Housing