PEN CONSTRUCTION ADVICE

Moderator: Moderators

PEN CONSTRUCTION ADVICE

Postby Olivia9801 » 13 Nov 2015, 13:19

I have to do a major repair of my existing pen that measures 40ftx20ft and unfortunately sometime back when I had a glut of 2"square timber I made it out of that.

Unfortunately it has to be revamped and this time I am going to use tantalised timber but I have a dillemma over what size to use. Ideally I would like to use 4" square but due to the cost- approx £700.00 I am thinking of 3" square which is approx £480.00.

My question is what would you recommend and is there anyone who has found 3" square to be more than adequate?

You're advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Olivia9801
Olivia9801
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Re: PEN CONSTRUCTION ADVICE

Postby Henwife » 14 Nov 2015, 21:43

I assume you talking fence posts here and in which case, 3x3 is more than adequate. If you are lucky enough to be working on level ground and the pen is a reasonable rectangle. then possibly 4x4 at the corners. Have you thought of using electric netting? Comes in 50m rolls (with posts) and by the time you have included an energiser and battery (if not a mains energiser) the cost would be much the same. However, if you have a wild rabbit problem, don't even consider it.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Olivia9801 » 15 Nov 2015, 20:19

thank you for your reply. I suppose I should have said that my pen is approx 7 feet tall and we have loads of rabbits as well as foxes, though I know they are everywhere anyway.

I do think your suggestion regarding 4" posts on the corners is good.

Many Thanks

Olivia9801
Olivia9801
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Henwife » 18 Nov 2015, 19:58

I found electric fencing effective against foxes..............until rabbits decided that if the chewed through the verticals (non-electric) they could whisk through between the horizontals - followed by foxes. Now that myxi's back in our area, the foxes have easy pickings. Now if something would deal with the tree rats I'd only be left with ordinary rats which I can keep more or less under control.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Return to Feeding and Housing