nest boxes

Moderator: Moderators

nest boxes

Postby scott686 » 17 Aug 2015, 14:42

Hi all. I have just one question at the moment: do I need the same amount of nest boxes as chickens, I only have room in the chicken houue for 3 nests but the pen is 3m square which I feel would be ample space for 5 chickens.
Thanks.
scott686

Liked in: 0 post

Re: nest boxes

Postby Moriarty » 17 Aug 2015, 19:40

Hi Scott and welcome to the forum.

I'd say you have the right amount of nest boxes ... I have two for seven hens and it seems ample. Sometimes they queue up to lay an egg if the box is occupied, sometimes two of them squash in together, but it's never been a problem. They don't all lay at the same time, some are in the morning, some later in the day. I think three boxes between five chickens is more than ample.

Do ask away on the forum if you've any questions. This is a good place to find out more and ask for practical advice!
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

CP likes this post.
Moriarty

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby scott686 » 17 Aug 2015, 20:25

Ah thanks. Sounds good to me.
scott686

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ladyplumber » 19 Aug 2015, 00:03

Yes, echo the above.

If you had a dozen nest boxes you'd find that they'd probably just use two of them, they always have their favourite :roll:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby organic chick » 19 Aug 2015, 09:03

Absolutely. I often find up to 8 eggs in one box and one in another. Next day they will be equally divided, then another day all in one!! As lady plumber says, they do their own thing. Even when they all lay in one, an orderly queue forms beforehand. No logic to me although I am sure there is a hen sub plot!!!!
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

3 people like this post.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Return to Feeding and Housing