Layers sample bags?

Moderator: Moderators

Layers sample bags?

Postby laallee » 28 May 2015, 11:08

Hi, I am currently feeding my 22 week old birds on Garvo Alfamix. They enjoy eating everything but the pellets!! As yet they have not laid an egg,,,
Does anyone please have knowledge of where I can purchase a few samples of feed to try before I waste more money?
laallee
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 10 posts

Re: Layers sample bags?

Postby carachick » 28 May 2015, 18:42

Some independent pet stores and market traders will weigh out various animal feeds - those kinds of places are probably your best bet (and they may be able to get some samples from their suppliers if you ask). Also manufacturers websites will sometimes offer coupons and ocassional offers if you sign up to their newsletters.

laallee likes this post.
carachick

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Henwife » 29 May 2015, 09:47

If you live within reach of Abergavenny or Ross on Wye, then try Baileys for small quantities of pellets. Unless they are brown hybrids, your birds may be some way off laying. Is their headgear redding up yet?
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

laallee likes this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby laallee » 29 May 2015, 11:27

Thank you, the head gear is getting bigger and redder,,,,

Henwife likes this post.
laallee
Chick
Chick

Postby crazypianolady » 30 May 2015, 10:27

Like Henwife says, your girls are probably a bit young to be laying yet. And (forgive me if you know this!) layers pellets don't make hens lay.

:grin:

2 people like this post.
crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 142 posts

Postby organic chick » 30 May 2015, 19:29

just try mixing a few pellets in with whatever they do eat and gradually change the ratio so that ultimately there are only pellets. I can't afford Garvo and find Farmgate adequate but they come in sealed bags. It may be worth contacting Marrriages feeds and asking if they have sample packs. They are usually very helpful (We use their worming pellets)
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

2 people like this post.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby laallee » 01 Jun 2015, 14:52

Thank you for all the comments. Alfamix has pellets in with the concoction but the birds eat all the seeds first then only when theres nothing else they will eat the pellets begrudgingly. I have stopped all the treats and will not feed them until they have eaten more pellets. The floor of the run is more pellets than sand,,,i still have a 12kg bag of alfamix which will last approx. 3 weeks so I will change the feed if they are still ignoring the pellets.
they are free ranging all day from dawn till dusk so they are not lacking an appetite, just fussy madams..
laallee
Chick
Chick

Postby Henwife » 01 Jun 2015, 19:22

If they're free ranging all day they probably aren't hungry. All seeds are treats as far as chicken are concerned, so I'd stop worrying about them not eating pellets until the autumn. If they've got enough range, their diet will be adequate without them. Pellets were originally to supply sufficient nutrition to poultry kept with a limited, or even no, range area.

2 people like this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby laallee » 02 Jun 2015, 13:49

we have an egg! 9am, softish, deep brown!

3 people like this post.
laallee
Chick
Chick

Postby laallee » 03 Jun 2015, 16:04

I am pretty certain I got two eggs from the same bird this afternoon, one egg collapsed in the nest box with a paper thin shell and the other one nice and firm! Any one had this type of thing happen? Thank you once again.
laallee
Chick
Chick

Postby CP » 04 Jun 2015, 02:35

Odd things can happen when they begin laying & this is not unknown.
They should settle down once they get into the swing of laying. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

2 people like this post.
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby laallee » 06 Jun 2015, 20:34

Well, we have two of the six laying but the eggs are getting eaten. The two layers seem to drop the eggs on the ground then immediately they all get stuck in to eating them! I've tried English mustard, chill is and Tabasco sauce inside blown eggshells but it hasn't done any good. Can anyone offer advice please.
Thank you
laallee
Chick
Chick

Postby laallee » 06 Jun 2015, 20:47

Just to add, the birds are all eating well, plenty of space and access to grit etc all day. The nest boxes were used a couple of times prior to one of the hens laying on the floor a couple of times. This give the hens a taste and now they seem to think the eggs are a special treat,,,
laallee
Chick
Chick

Postby Henwife » 08 Jun 2015, 06:55

Acquire some golf balls from a charity shop, paint (or handle with muddy hands) to stop them being too white, drop one into each nest box and scatter any extras about the place. Sometimes this can fool them in to thinking they are impenetrable eggs & they give up trying. To do a more realistic job, you can full eggshells with plaster filler which means you need to sandwich the 'lid' on, so leave space for this. As you can tell - been there, done that, and it's much cheaper than buying dummy eggs...........particularly if fox, squirrel, rat or crow makes off with them! I don't think chicken have much sense of taste - mine used to enjoy left over curry.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby Hen-Gen » 08 Jun 2015, 10:12

Nest boxes need to be dark both to attract the hens to lay in them and to prevent egg eating. Try pinning black bin bags to the tops of the boxes and hanging half way down the fronts. The hens will be able to push their way in but it will make the interior of the boxes darker. It worked for me on the one occasion that I had this problem.
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Next

Return to Feeding and Housing