Drinking water

Moderator: Moderators

Drinking water

Postby torkardlane » 15 Mar 2015, 18:20

Just wondering what folks think of using water from rain barrels, I use tap water in a proper chicken drinker and rain barrel water in a small bucket and you can guess which the chickens prefer.
torkardlane
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 11 posts

Re: Drinking water

Postby subruss » 15 Mar 2015, 22:40

I put clean water out every day and over many years I have used all kinds of containers and all a waste of money as the nearest dirty puddle is always the preferred option so as far as I am concerned as long as the water has not got any unnatural poisons or pollutants in it its fine.
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby Moriarty » 16 Mar 2015, 07:57

I've all kinds of containers for water, but they charge over to the little frog pond and balance precariously on the tiles around it to dip their heads into scummy, weedy, frog-poo laden green water (yes, I should clear out the frog pond occasionally!). Either that, or as subruss says, the dirtiest puddle around.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

ladyplumber likes this post.
Moriarty

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby drfish » 16 Mar 2015, 12:07

Mine won't drink fresh tap water until it's been stood a good few hours. Hence why I pretty much stop doing it. I've got various receptacles around the garden that catch rain water, so they get used first, and then I top up with tap water if I have no rain left. I seriously doubt there's any benefit at all to using fresh water. As suggested above, as long as it's free from chemicals or toxins, it'll be fine.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby torkardlane » 16 Mar 2015, 20:32

Thanks all I'll carry on as usual then.just thought something might affect them but not sure.
torkardlane
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 11 posts

Postby borowik » 14 May 2015, 11:18

mine drinks mostly rain water and everything is fine
borowik

Liked in: 0 post

Return to Feeding and Housing