Green Polytunnel (small)

Moderator: Moderators

Green Polytunnel (small)

Postby NannyP » 12 Oct 2014, 18:38

Several months ago I decided to invest in a small green polytunnel to provide extra dry housing for my group of coqs. I bought mine from eBay. I needed to keep the separate from the girls, as there were not enough girls to go round and I'd already lost 2 Pekin boys to massive fight to the death!

My flock has been further depleted this year by predators, and I am down to just 6 hens and one Pekin coq. They have access to the run with the polytunnel and I put their food under there. I noticed the other day that they also dust bath under there as it keep amazingly dry.

So, for you guys who are now facing a wet autumn and winter, I thought you might like to know that I am really pleased with this purchase and it would be ideal to erect over part of your coop/run arrangement if all was less than 5ft high. I can stand up in mine, and I am 5'1" (don't ask me in metric, I have no idea).

It looks like this and I leave the door rolled up at all times.

2 people like this post.
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Re: Green Polytunnel (small)

Postby Moriarty » 13 Oct 2014, 06:32

How does it secure to the ground? Would it stand up to strong winds Nanny P?
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..
Moriarty

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby jillychick » 13 Oct 2014, 08:12

i used one on the allotment as a greenhouse and was concerned about the winds, a few slabs placed on the bottom rung of the frame work worked for me it went nowhere even in the gales. but how does keeping the door flap fully open work with high winds Nanny? i suppose you could close it and leave about 1/4 open at the bottom a brill idea Nanny never thought about using one as a hen shelter. :grin:
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby NannyP » 14 Oct 2014, 07:19

I have to say, mine is in an enclosed run, and is protected by a wall to one side and a high hedge behind so not really exposed to high winds. YOu can buy pegs to hold it down like a tent. We haven't.
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Postby drfish » 14 Oct 2014, 11:27

I had one of those on my garden, and it did succumb to the wind. The frame stayed where it was,l but it just ripped through the poly sheeting and sent it 3 gardens away. Does get very windy up on our hill though :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Return to Feeding and Housing