are oyster eggs good?

Moderator: Moderators

are oyster eggs good?

Postby farmerboy » 08 Oct 2014, 21:42

I have been doing some research on good things to feed laying hens. I came a across an article which explained that, giving laying hens oyster shells is a good source of calcium and worth buying. I would like to know if is this true? is it worth bothering with?? By the way I found this information from an article which was explain how to stop hens eating their eggs. (I don't have any chickens yet so I was just doing research for when I get them). :)
farmerboy

Liked in: 0 post

Re: are oyster eggs good?

Postby subruss » 09 Oct 2014, 05:38

Yes oyster shell is a good source of calcium for your hens and for caged or penned birds its a good idea to give them some occasionally but if you have free range birds its a waste of money as they get all they need from the environment this also goes for grit which is also a waste of money if your free ranging. :thumbright:

farmerboy likes this post.
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby Hen-Gen » 09 Oct 2014, 09:51

I'd generally go along with what subruss says but with the tiny proviso that if you happen to live in the upland/moorland areas of Britain (eg Forest of Bowland) then the birds are not going to find calcium in their environment.
Having said that, layers pellets or mash have all the nutrients a hen needs but if you choose to feed grain then this could be an issue.
If you have nothing
Give it away

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby kated » 09 Oct 2014, 10:59

subruss wrote:Yes oyster shell is a good source of calcium for your hens and for caged or penned birds its a good idea to give them some occasionally but if you have free range birds its a waste of money as they get all they need from the environment this also goes for grit which is also a waste of money if your free ranging. :thumbright:

I provided my free range chickens with both oyster shell and grit at all times. It was enthusiastically eaten by both chickens and geese. Though the oyster shell only went when the birds were in lay. I do not believe it is a waste of money. Oyster shell and grit is very cheap, so why not try providing them with a covered (against the rain) pot of it and see if they use it? If it's still unused after around 3 months, you have your answer.

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby drfish » 09 Oct 2014, 11:59

Think it was Henwife that gave this suggestion, put a tub full in a plant pot with drain holes in, and then stick a tent peg through the bottom of the plant pot to hold it upright and peg it into the floor. That way, if they want it, it's there, if not, then it's not hurting anything sat there doing nothing and will drain freely so it doesn't dissolve in the rain. As above, for how much it costs, it's worth having some available just in case. Not to say Subruss is wrong, far from it. But most don't have the luxury of good free-range areas.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Return to Feeding and Housing