Dropping board

Moderator: Moderators

Rustyroots
Chick
Chick

Dropping board

Post by Rustyroots » 16 Sep 2014, 22:34

Hi All,

I got 4 hens on Sunday and they are making a right mess in the coop overnight. I need to put a droppings board in, but have a couple of questions:
1) I presume I need to suspend it under the roost bars, but how far under the bars should it be?
2) How far past the roosts should t stick out , so that it doesn't get missed?

Rusty

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Re: Dropping board

Post by jillychick » 16 Sep 2014, 23:23

Just a thought but why have you got to Suspend it? I use a cheep grow bag tray on the floor under the perches to collect overnight waste. I've found a sheet of newspaper with a bit of loose bedding placed in the tray is dead easy to clean out every morning it only takes minutes. Mine are in a converted shed but when I was using the smaller coops a piece of plastic sheeting worked just as well with newspaper and some bedding material on top just an idea? Quick and easy to remove and replace keeps the floor area much cleaner for longer.
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 17 Sep 2014, 07:25

Interesting point. One of my elderly hens, Ronnie Biggs (cross-eyed, bandy-legged, bad-tempered and a bit slow in the head ... but heck, you gotta love her!) is now so arthritic and elderly that she can't jump on the roost bars so she squats on the floor underneath. And the others are on the roost bars above. She's had a bit of poo droppings on her tail feathers but even though she's directly underneath there's no droppings on her in the last few weeks .... I wondered if the hens are aiming their bums away from her because I can't believe they can go through the night without a poo.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

Rustyroots
Chick
Chick

Post by Rustyroots » 17 Sep 2014, 09:43

Thanks for the replies. The reason that I would suspend it is so that when the birds are walking around under the roosts they are not walking in poo. Is this not the correct thing to do?

Rusty

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 17 Sep 2014, 13:10

Probably a little overkill. They honestly don't mind walking in poo. They aren't exactly the most hygienic of animals at the best of times.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 17 Sep 2014, 16:28

I've been pooped on from perch hight while cleaning they just arn't bothered any time, Any place any where and will happily sit in it.:lol:
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 22 Sep 2014, 08:46

They'll even eat food that landed in poop... chucked some grain out yesterday for them and a load fell in a fresh poop, they all went for that first... urgh lmao
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1