garden birds eating hens' food!

Moderator: Moderators

rymcq8
Chick
Chick

garden birds eating hens' food!

Post by rymcq8 » 21 Aug 2014, 15:30

hey guys!

i'm getting a little fed up of the garden birds eating the hens' food.
the garden birds fly inside the run (which is sheltered and only has one entrance) to the top end and feed on the hens' pellets.

has anyone got any suggestions to help stop this or at least try.

thanks

ryan

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Re: garden birds eating hens' food!

Post by laffinfowl » 21 Aug 2014, 16:16

Fruit netting over the opening they're getting in through as well as stopping them stealing feed it will also reduce the risk of them carrying in Red Mites which is how i ended up with some coops being infested with them this season,sparrows being the worst culprits i,ve found.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 21 Aug 2014, 16:27

Something like a fake Owl will also help keep them out. I generally don't have much issue with wild birds, even though there's plenty of gaps for them to get in. My cats are usually stalking around the chicken pens, so wild birds steer clear mostly.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

rymcq8
Chick
Chick

Post by rymcq8 » 21 Aug 2014, 20:57

laffinfowl wrote:Fruit netting over the opening they're getting in through as well as stopping them stealing feed it will also reduce the risk of them carrying in Red Mites which is how i ended up with some coops being infested with them this season,sparrows being the worst culprits i,ve found.
that sounds like a good idea - i'll add some netting both at the entrance and inside the run to make it harder to the garden birds to access the food - thanks

rymcq8
Chick
Chick

Post by rymcq8 » 21 Aug 2014, 21:08

drfish wrote:Something like a fake Owl will also help keep them out. I generally don't have much issue with wild birds, even though there's plenty of gaps for them to get in. My cats are usually stalking around the chicken pens, so wild birds steer clear mostly.
thanks for the advice. you're lucky not having many garden birds. i live in a row of houses with long narrow gardens where the neighbours all have numerous bird feeders in each garden. it's like bird central around here :|

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 22 Aug 2014, 07:11

There's another way of looking at this. I have a 20kg feeder - an ancient Eltex - which I shut down at night. The small birds are always waiting for me in the morning so they can have some pellets. However, they really do "sing for their supper" so I accept them. My poultry is completely free range now, with no fences at all, and my real problem is with rabbits eating the pellets. They also destroyed my electric nets by nipping through the verticals.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

rymcq8
Chick
Chick

Post by rymcq8 » 22 Aug 2014, 12:33

Henwife wrote:There's another way of looking at this. I have a 20kg feeder - an ancient Eltex - which I shut down at night. The small birds are always waiting for me in the morning so they can have some pellets. However, they really do "sing for their supper" so I accept them. My poultry is completely free range now, with no fences at all, and my real problem is with rabbits eating the pellets. They also destroyed my electric nets by nipping through the verticals.
that's a valid point. i do love the garden birds and admit i have a bird-feeder to the rear and front of the property so i can watch them front the windows.
i do accept garden birds and appreciate their song. however, in the chicken-yard, especially in the run there is an excess of garden bird faeces ending up in the hens' food and water.
someone also mentioned the spread of red mite which we have had at least once but managed to resolve using diatom algae powder.
i'd rather reduce the risk from these without affecting either the garden birds or the hens.

i'm wondering if it would be a good idea to create an easier accessible food and place this in the chicken-yard for the garden birds. to make getting into the run seem like too much of a hassle?

sunnys
Hen
Hen

Post by sunnys » 22 Aug 2014, 14:36

i used to feed the garden birds as I love our sparrows and it has been deeply satisifying to see their numbers increase each year from the sad couple of pairs we had origonally. Now i do not bother as they help themselves to the chicken food and its cheaper then wild bird mix anyhow! i wasn't wildly impressed with them roosting in my hen house during coldest parts of winter but hey can see their point- nice snug warm wooden house thats preditor proof!I just wish they wouldn't all panic in morning and fly into me when I open doors.

rymcq8
Chick
Chick

Post by rymcq8 » 26 Aug 2014, 17:44

sunnys wrote:i used to feed the garden birds as I love our sparrows and it has been deeply satisifying to see their numbers increase each year from the sad couple of pairs we had origonally. Now i do not bother as they help themselves to the chicken food and its cheaper then wild bird mix anyhow! i wasn't wildly impressed with them roosting in my hen house during coldest parts of winter but hey can see their point- nice snug warm wooden house thats preditor proof!I just wish they wouldn't all panic in morning and fly into me when I open doors.
that's exactly what happens to me, the garden birds get all flustered when i approach the run and fly all over the place.
i've set up some cds hanging inside the run and made it more difficult for the birds to access the run. it seems to have worked. haven't seen a garden bird in the run for a while now.
fingers crossed