Raising coop??

Moderator: Moderators

Raising coop??

Postby Rustyroots » 18 Aug 2014, 14:28

Hi All,

I need to raise my coop between 12 and 18 inches, the legs at the moment are made from 3x3 fence posts. What is the best/safest way to do it?

Rusty
Rustyroots
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 8 posts

Re: Raising coop??

Postby drfish » 18 Aug 2014, 15:33

I'd stand it on breeze blocks. The legs will fit into the holes of the block, so all sides should remain level. Plus it will leave space in the middle should it be required for shelter or storage.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Rustyroots » 19 Aug 2014, 18:39

Hi drfish, thanks for the reply. I thought about using hollow ones, but I can't find any at local builders etc. The reason I am raising it is so that it will give me 15 sq ft extra run space and think that I may put dust bath under there. I was thinking of using 2 fence post off cuts as I have a few lying around and bolting through all 3 to raise it, but not sure how safe it will be.

Rusty
Rustyroots
Chick
Chick

Postby drfish » 20 Aug 2014, 09:13

The problem is you move the centre of gravity considerably higher, therefore, it becomes more unstable. I had thought about it with the coop I have for brooding, just to free up some space, but because it gets extremely windy where I live, I decided against it. It gets windy enough to remove my kids 10' trampoline and reposition it next door :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby organic chick » 24 Aug 2014, 09:17

Would railway sleepers be any good?
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby Rustyroots » 24 Aug 2014, 09:52

That's something I hadn't though of I will look into using sleepers.

Rusty
Rustyroots
Chick
Chick

Postby Exibit » 13 Sep 2014, 09:27

Hi I also raised by coop, built a frame and sat the coop ontop then joined it onto my run, the girls use this for shelter in high winds or heave rain

Will try and get you another picture so you get a better idea
Exibit
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Exibit » 13 Sep 2014, 09:37

Here you go

Exibit
Chick
Chick

Postby organic chick » 13 Sep 2014, 18:27

Excellent job. How do you like the plastic water containers.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby Exibit » 14 Sep 2014, 00:38

Organic chick

Thanks for the reply, this is the best drinker I have used, been using it for 18 months, only need to fill it every 10 days would last longer if I was not so fussy. Only issue I have found is make sure you wipe some Vasaline around the seal on the top on first use, do not lift the drinker by the top screw on tap\handle this caused a split and I needed a replacement..

Apart from that best drinker available
Exibit
Chick
Chick

Postby Rustyroots » 14 Sep 2014, 09:55

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I am going to build some 8 inch square concrete blocks,and make an impression in the top with an old bit of fence post about 4 inches deep and then I can sit the legs of the coop in them.

Where did you get the drinker from Organic Chick and how much did it cost?
Rustyroots
Chick
Chick

Postby Exibit » 14 Sep 2014, 16:40

It's called

Honeypot Chicken Drinkers

Go to Flytesofancy web site

Go to chicken drinkers and you will see the Honeypot drinkers

I have the 20 litre one
Exibit