Mud Mud Mud

Moderator: Moderators

trocse
Chick
Chick

Mud Mud Mud

Post by trocse » 13 Aug 2014, 14:03

The chicken run has turned to nothing but mud, is there anything i can do to prevent this or is this normal for them to turn grass to mud

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Mud Mud Mud

Post by drfish » 13 Aug 2014, 14:11

Pretty normal, and will only get worse over winter, so now is a good time to act.

Several options:

My personal favourite, weed membrane, with 3" of sharp sand on top. Easy to clean, stays quite fresh, prevents mud baths and is good for the chickens feet. Also very cheap option.

Some people opt for slabs as a base, with a covering of woodchip or gravel.

Rubber chips are also favoured by some people.

The world is your oyster really, make it as simple as you like, for relatively low amount of spend. Or go silly with it installing drainage etc.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 13 Aug 2014, 21:20

The weed membrane and sand is a good idea.I just put sand down but it soon disappears .I might try that...ta!

drfish

Post by drfish » 14 Aug 2014, 09:37

Yeah, you need the membrane, otherwise your sand just gets swallowed up by the earth. That in itself is a relatively good thing, as it keeps the ground draining well, but obviously, you're forever topping up the sand. I put about 2 ton down initially, and I top up each run with about 250Kg or so every 3 months, to freshen it up and keeping looking clean. Costs about £13 from Wickes for 250Kg. And a bit of weight lifting, obviously.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 14 Aug 2014, 15:27

my dear husband (creep creep) buys a lorry load of 'sand fill' its only marginally graded .I nick it ! I do have to barrow it a good way though . I'm not sure how it compares to Wickes price wise.
Just as soon as it stops flippin well raining I'm going to do one of the runs and see what I think.Do you peg it (the membrane )down with metal or plastic pegs ?

drfish

Post by drfish » 14 Aug 2014, 15:58

I just used a pack of the plastic pegs. They're cheap enough (couple of quid for 20 I think it was). Although, it was a fruitless task because eventually they find a way of pulling up a corner to get at the bare earth below :lol:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 19 Aug 2014, 21:21

yes, I did wonder about that too. If there's mischief to be had they seem to find it. They can get under their coop and they make a dust bath of sorts so I would'nt do under there anyway so I'd have to make a good job of the edge. Did you put lime or anything uder the membrane ?

drfish

Post by drfish » 20 Aug 2014, 09:15

I just put the membrane straight down, and I give it a good Jeyes fluid bath every month (when I remember). Seems to keep nasty whiffs at bay. The ground drains quite well there though, due to several previous tons of sand that have leached into the soil.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.