Feeding plan for cockerals

Moderator: Moderators

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Feeding plan for cockerals

Post by jillychick » 08 Aug 2014, 16:00

My cockerals are now 13wks old, although they are getting huge they are still on the skinny side. I need to sort out a feeding plan to bulk them up as I need to cull and use them for the table before I get a serious crowing problem. There are 4 of them RIR X L/S. At the moment they are on 50/50 growers and mixed corn with as much green stuff as they can eat. I've got a heavy potato crop on the allotment I was wondering if I boil some and give them a mash with some corn in it? Any hints, tips or advice or a feeding plan would be great thanks :grin:
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Feeding plan for cockerals

Post by kated » 08 Aug 2014, 18:34

Oh my! You will get some conflicting opinions here. I have fed boiled potatoes to great effect when fattening chickens, ducks and geese, but I know Drfish will say that all potato is dangerous for poultry and should not be fed. Take your choice!

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 08 Aug 2014, 19:52

Have fed both cooked spuds and skins to many growers mixed with flaked maize and no ill affects,it was fed in the last 3 to 4 weeks before culling.
It was also a staple in poultry feeding years ago so personally i'd be guided by that rather than anything gleaned from Google.

farmer Warren
Chick
Chick

Post by farmer Warren » 08 Aug 2014, 20:17

i just feed mine growers pellets

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 08 Aug 2014, 21:37

Lol Kate I knew about the spud issue being debatable but potatos are perfectly safe if you boil them well. It's the bulking up on there food intake that I'm interested in as well as providing a balanced diet in the essentials needed for good health.
I'm really proud of my boys they are turning into stunning birds, the feathering is lovely they shine in the sunshine. I want to keep them happy and healthy to the end.
They are not crowing yet so I have some time to develop a nutritional feeding plan, so potatoes it is for the next week or two. Thanks
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.