Electric fence energisers

Moderator: Moderators

CP

Electric fence energisers

Post by CP » 31 May 2014, 10:46

Here's a question for those who have a greater knowledge about fence energisers....do they 'wear out'?

We've had one for many years - mains powered - that's on pretty much 24/7, 365 days of the year. Over the last couple of days the indicator lights have been substantially less than usual & at times not showing at all. Obviously no one wants to actually touch the fence to check it! But does this mean the energiser isn't working properly?

OH has checked all around in case it was shorting out somewhere, but all seems OK. So do we just buy a new one?

Any ideas, please?
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

3441sussex
Chick
Chick

Re: Electric fence energisers

Post by 3441sussex » 31 May 2014, 15:02

I should use a fence tester and check the voltage before replacing. A cheap way of testing if you haven't got a tester is to get a piece of insulated electrical wire (about 20cm long ), strip about a cm of plastic sheaf off each end, leaving bare wire. Touch the fence with one end and a metal stake with the other, if it is working properly you should get a bright spark. If you get no spark the fence is not working at all. To check to see if it is the energiser at fault connect to a short test fence to make sure that the problem is not actually with your poultry fence.

subruss

Post by subruss » 31 May 2014, 18:36

Don't be a wimp :) just grab it firmly and if its working you will feel the throbbing in your hand, used to be a kids game when I was young if you wimp out and only touch it lightly you get a little shock :lol: its just a tough kids game of grabbing nettles :thumbright:

stephen
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by stephen » 01 Jun 2014, 12:10

We certainly found that they do wear out. The energisers eventually crap out and give bugger all kick.
Stephen

CP

Post by CP » 02 Jun 2014, 02:40

Panic over! Phew!

After a thorough inspection, OH found that it was shorting out where we have an isolation switch, so temporarily he has bypassed it & all is working properly now. ;)

Glad to know I might have been correct when I thought it was failing though, Stephen. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 02 Jun 2014, 15:26

we've been having trouble with ours too. we have an ancient one thats working fine and a newer (four years old )one which seems not to be working. It seems that the earth was too dry ,its running down inside a shed , hubby tipped a bucket of water down there and it seems to be performing better.

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 04 Jun 2014, 11:21

We have a tester, and test at least once a month. But then I have several fences all hooked up together, and I don't know your set-up. For peace of mind though, a tester isn't all that expensive, and doing the rounds has just become part of the poultry-keeping routine, and makes it possible to trace where there are problems.