Check out my coop... Advice welcomed :)

Moderator: Moderators

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Re: Check out my coop... Advice welcomed :)

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 12 May 2014, 20:43

Ok so Flubenvet is on the shopping list now too along with
Apple cider vinegar
Poultry shield
Grits
Two small feeders (for above)
Corn for a treat.

And thanks Cleggy but I don't think we need any more :)

Today I didn't bother with trying to hold any of them, I just stayed still and petted them when they came near enough...

Also went to Wilkos to have a look for some little poultry feeders but it would seem that our Wilkos is **** so came away empty handed. Mixed a quarter of a crumbled up fat ball destined for the bird table in with their dust bath which they seemed to enjoy having a good rummage through.

Oh and 3 of them had a good scratch and flap around in amongst the dust bath, its only the size of two slabs but I'm thinking of lifting two more for them. It's just a mix of compost/sand/diatomaceous powder with a few scraps of food in but they spend a lot of time walking in and pecking at it... I don't doubt that they're getting all of the grit they need from that (apart from the calcium from oyster shells)

I must have spent 2-3 hours just watching them today :D

Oh and we had an escapee!

I took a boulder into the run to cover up the end of some reeds that one of them kept nibbling but I hadn't noticed the the gate was ajar. As I walked to the other side of the run, the Leghorn (damn she's quick!) ran straight out of the door...

I knew we stood zero chance of catching her-even less if she decided to fly-so we just stood still. By the time she had stopped running she was around the side of the run trying to nestle back in with the the others when she realised she was the wrong side of the fence. You could see the panic in her so I walked round the back of her to guide her towards the now wide open gate. Oh we did chuckle!

Was good to see that she knew where safety was, how long do you think until we can let them free range?

Also, I know of 1, maybe two bees nests in the garden, are the chickens safe or will curiosity get the better of them? and will they eat things that they shouldn't or do they know what's good and what not so?

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 12 May 2014, 21:24

Hi they won't stay out long on there own at this stage, mine sneak out every opportunity they get at the moment. Hubby has planted up all the pots and baskets ready for the summer so mine are on lock down for a while. Pepper the black x? Scratches out the contents of the wall baskets under the conservatory and kitchen windows!! She likes a good nosey in while wreaking havoc to check what I'm up to. :^o
They should be ok let out on the garden, leave the run gate open and they will come and go as they please. Are the wings clipped? If you have a flyer you may need to keep an eye on it but generally they will be more interested in trashing the garden you might want to get them used to the corn before letting them out? It's a sure way of getting them back in. Be prepared for some serious garden trashing, it's not a sight for the faint heated ie my hubby :lol:
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

cleggy
Chick
Chick

Post by cleggy » 12 May 2014, 23:13

YOU WILL :lol: :lol: :lol: We've all said not but we do :roll: :roll: :lol:

I use Marriages layers pellets with flubenvet added for worming, twice a year March and September, much easier to use :grin:
2 x Buff Orpington's, 1 x Wheaton Maran, 1 x Welsummer's, 1 x Silver Laced Wyandotte, 2 x Cream Legbar's, 2 x Light Sussex, 2 X Cuckoo Maran's, 2 X Copper Black Maran's .
2 x Labrador's (chocolate)

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 13 May 2014, 09:11

Yeah we have a flier in the Leghorn... I don't really want to clip her wings if I can help it, hopefully they won't be trying to escape too much :)

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 13 May 2014, 09:49

In my experience wing clipping is a waste of time! Been there done that! If they insist on flying they will. One of my copper marans insists on flying no mater how much I cut off the flight feathers she's no light weight either. She spends her time alone on next doors garden most of the day when allowed out.
The leghorns are flyers but never attempt to leave the garden? I've had to duck a few times in the run when they decide to take off from one of the higher perches. The rest never even try it's like they have forgot what wings are for!
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 13 May 2014, 10:48

Hmmm that's interesting Jilly...
I'd rather they didn't venture into next doors garden, we aren't very popular as we're knocking the house around somewhat (semi)

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 13 May 2014, 11:14

Fortunately my lovely neighbour doesn't mind she really likes her around she's even put netting round her own veg! And she looks after them while we are on holiday.
I wouldn't worry to much they should stay put because everything's new and strange. One thing chickens like is to feel secure any sign of trouble they will run for the coop they won't stray far.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 13 May 2014, 13:01

jillychick wrote:One thing chickens like is to feel secure any sign of trouble they will run for the coop they won't stray far.
yup....

One of mine spent 30 minutes this morning circling a pile of mash potato and peas I'd hurriedly thrown out while washing up .. I was compelled to watch her, it was fascinating the way she kept circling it and dashing past if she got too close.. lol .. in the end when I went back to check and she was still giving it the "Who are you and why wont you make the first move!" look I had to go out and 'peck' at it with my finger.. she then pecked a bit at it and luckily Piper came out of the nest box at that point and ran over and started to eat.. so Pyro gatehred the courage to eat the 'dangerous' mash!

lol
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 13 May 2014, 17:39

^^^ ha ha brilliant :D

Well today I let them free range... I was crouched in the door way and they liked to peck at the grass, The Goldline is far more independent than the others, she was happy to keep bobbing along and having a nosey around the bushes. I kept a close eye on her and she was fine. Something scared her and she bolted straight back into the run so she obviously knows where home is!

On her second venture the others followed. 3 of them stuck together but Goldie just went and did her thing.

When it was time to get them in I just kind of shepherded them in- no dramas :)

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 13 May 2014, 18:05

Watch that conservatory door mine are in and camped out chilling on the sofa given half the chance :lol:

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 13 May 2014, 18:33

We're safe... I don't have a sofa yet :oops: first house and all that, we're doing a little remodelling/renovation.

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 14 May 2014, 21:32

Time to meet the gang!

Today I re-roofed the run, found some pikeys in chesterfield selling some translucent corrugated plastic sheeting... So I took full advantage of his inability to count and came away with 10 x 6' lengths and 4 x 8' lengths (all x about 2') for £20. Enough to do the run and repair the green house...
Also I've lifted another 2 slabs - 4 in total now - for dust baths :)
Hopefully now, their food we be completely sheltered from the weather :)

Also I picked up 20Kg of both mixed grit and corn. It's amazing really how much they enjoy the grit, I was surprised at the size of it too :o
I've put their corn in a take-away tub and give it a little rattle so hopefully they'll associate the rattle with yummy corn treats and come running if they've gone AWOL... We'll see!

And that's it for today's antics :D

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 14 May 2014, 22:53

Well my antics for the day have been entertaining a 4 year old who's desperately trying to teach me how to play sonic the hedgehog! And if that wasn't bad enough he decided to let 11 hens and 2 rabbits out onto the garden where hubby has planted out the bedding plants (against my wishes!) Boy am I in trouble, and it looks like the chicks are ready to hatch yeppeeeeeee

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 15 May 2014, 21:02

Ha ha it can be chaotic when the hens panic... Oh they are funny though :D

The comb on the leghorn is getting bigger and redder by the day, I'm sure of it... She's around 18 weeks, could our first egg be imminent?

I had been fiddling most days but today I think is the first day I left it as it was. They all sleep together on the highest perch so their poop is in a neat pile in the morning to scoop up. Also they all use the dust bath as intended, and climb on the perches out in the run. The food and nest box are now bone dry and out of the wind and I converted the bottom 3" of a 2 pint milk bottle for a mixed grit bowl...

I spent maybe an hour knelt in the doorway rattling the corn box until they all came and fed each of them by hand. Today was the first day that all of them ate from my hand. The Goldline is the only one that will crouch down and lift her wings slightly so I can give her a good stroke- at least I think that's what she's doing... The others panic a bit but they're certainly getting better

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 15 May 2014, 21:20

When they squat / crouch it is because they are mature enough to be mated, that's what they would do for a cockeral who is always the dominant. Take it as a mark of respect. It is also an indication that they are in lay or about to start to lay