Check out my coop... Advice welcomed :)

Moderator: Moderators

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Check out my coop... Advice welcomed :)

Post by MamaOwl » 09 May 2014, 21:16

Looks amazing!!!

One thing.. the sloped perch?

And the weeds would have been awesome for them.. no more gardening in their run!! Let them do it!
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 09 May 2014, 21:33

Thanks! The reason I cut the weeds is because there was a lot of long grass in amongst it all and I've read that that isn't ideal.

The sloped perch is hopefully just access to the higher one. I couldn't figure out a way to get them up there with what bits of wood I had so I'm afraid that's all I could come up with. If it is an issue I'll remove the angled one and drop the top one down so it is accessible from the ramp.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 09 May 2014, 21:34

ahhh then I will shut up! lmao ;-)

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 09 May 2014, 21:38

ha ha no don't be daft... In my head what I have done makes sense, but then I've never kept hens before so your input is hugely appreciated :)

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 09 May 2014, 21:41

well I thought you intended it as a perch... they can't perch on slopes.. not smooth ones any way... but as a 'hop-up' it might work....

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 09 May 2014, 21:43

I'll be sure to keep you updated either way :)

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 09 May 2014, 22:28

Air vent? What I did in my shed was cut a hole the right size for a cheep plastic air vent. Place it as high up as possible and screw it on on the out side, the inside you can mesh over if you want to.

Just one thing I did notice, is your perches need rounding off on the top. Apparently it's not goog for the feet if they don't fit snugly round the perch while roosting. Imagine a tree branch?

Mine love the high perches and do climb so they will love the play area, also check the hight of the food holder when the birds arrive, it should be no higher than the hight of the birds back.

Also you might want to consider a couple of permanent rodent bait box's outside your run? And remove the food from the run at night.
DE is good don't forget the nest box's floor covering and plenty on the ends of the perches. I keep mine in the coop ready, and apply with a soft dry paint brush... happy hen shopping :sunny: :thumbright:
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 09 May 2014, 22:50

Ok I did round the edges off but maybe I'll get the belt sander out and give it a good radius...

I did consider whether I should line the bottom 6" with a finer mesh to prevent rodents but I assumed even that wouldn't do the trick, I guess the key is to not leave food lying around.

I've got a couple of hen suppliers noted down and means of getting them home if I find the right birds :)

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 10 May 2014, 00:40

What you have done looks fabulous. You have worked really hard and it shows. Your birds have a lovely home :grin: :cheers:
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Post by organic chick » 10 May 2014, 07:10

Your excitement for the project leaps off the screen. Lovely. Just a word about White Stars. We have 2 in a small flock of 10. They are renowned for excellent egg production and ours are no exception. Our two are not flighty at all and both love cuddles and strokes from adults and children alike. They are quite small light birds. Our warrens produce lovely brown eggs and are friendly and easily handled. The Cream Legbars are more retiring types but are relatively new additions and becoming more used to lots of attention. The Light Sussex are the most amazing I have to say in terms of handling. Both jump onto my shoulder for a chat, follow me all over the place and are generally extremely sociable.

Enjoy whatever hens you choose. I think we all await your announcement with anticipation!! :grin:
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

Mayhen
Chick
Chick

Post by Mayhen » 10 May 2014, 20:09

organic chick wrote:Your excitement for the project leaps off the screen. Lovely. Just a word about White Stars. We have 2 in a small flock of 10. They are renowned for excellent egg production and ours are no exception. Our two are not flighty at all and both love cuddles and strokes from adults and children alike. They are quite small light birds. Our warrens produce lovely brown eggs and are friendly and easily handled. The Cream Legbars are more retiring types but are relatively new additions and becoming more used to lots of attention. The Light Sussex are the most amazing I have to say in terms of handling. Both jump onto my shoulder for a chat, follow me all over the place and are generally extremely sociable.

Enjoy whatever hens you choose. I think we all await your announcement with anticipation!! :grin:
Yes, my light sussex were so tame they would hop onto my lap, and if it was a lovely sunny day they'd fall asleep there too :grin:
3 mice, 1 rescue dog, 1 rescue quaker parrot, 6 chickens: Daffy (mix breed), Teazel (Welsummer), Ginger Rogers (Gingernut Ranger), Pudding (Black Rock), Pepper (Barred Wyandotte bantam) and Nutmeg (Buff-laced Wyandotte bantam)

"The world is as delicate as a spider's web; touch one thread and you send shivers running through all the other threads. We're not just touching the web; we're tearing great holes in it." Gerald Durrell

NoNameNoNumber
Chick
Chick

Post by NoNameNoNumber » 10 May 2014, 20:24

We have chickens!!!

We went to Cambridge poultry on our travels and bought a Speckledy, a White Leghorn, Goldline and a Nero

The Goldline is lovely, so placid. The White Leghorn is a handful though! Both the Nero and Speckledy have been picked up and held/stroked but we've tried to just leave them be for tonight to settle in :)

Mayhen
Chick
Chick

Post by Mayhen » 10 May 2014, 20:40

Oh that's wonderful!!!! They look lovely, and I see they've figured out how to use the perch :grin:
I'm so excited for you :lol:
3 mice, 1 rescue dog, 1 rescue quaker parrot, 6 chickens: Daffy (mix breed), Teazel (Welsummer), Ginger Rogers (Gingernut Ranger), Pudding (Black Rock), Pepper (Barred Wyandotte bantam) and Nutmeg (Buff-laced Wyandotte bantam)

"The world is as delicate as a spider's web; touch one thread and you send shivers running through all the other threads. We're not just touching the web; we're tearing great holes in it." Gerald Durrell

Mayhen
Chick
Chick

Post by Mayhen » 10 May 2014, 20:43

NoNameNoNumber wrote:We have chickens!!!

We went to Cambridge poultry on our travels and bought a Speckledy, a White Leghorn, Goldline and a Nero

The Goldline is lovely, so placid. The White Leghorn is a handful though! Both the Nero and Speckledy have been picked up and held/stroked but we've tried to just leave them be for tonight to settle in :)
Yep, even my leghorn cross is totally crazy! :roll: Still love her to bits though, they have such characters :grin:

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 10 May 2014, 20:52

One piece of valuable advice, especially bringing hens into a new home at this time of year. Ficam-w. It will STOP red mite before they start. Spray it everywhere in the coop, and keep the hens outside for a few hours while it dries. Prevention is better than cure, and worth 10 nuggets of any poultry keepers money. Other than that, you're doing a great job. Nice to see someone passionate about their work :)
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.