Has anyone heard of giving chickens aniseed?

Moderator: Moderators

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Has anyone heard of giving chickens aniseed?

Post by Lindsay » 17 Feb 2014, 16:52

I have made the most of the fine weather today, and scrubbed and bleached all the feeders, waterers etc. When I was refilling the grit pots, I looked at the ingredients on the bag - (I quote) "Sterilized and washed redstone and grit. Contains silex stones, gastric grinding stones, sea shells, oyster shells, charcoal and redstone for optimal digestion and also produces solid droppings. Also contains anise."

This year, for the first time, I stopped buying grit and oyster shells separately, and bought them combined. Admittedly the stuff is for pigeons, but I doubt there is much difference. I was saying to OH that all the birds have weathered this winter well, and are looking really good, and I just wondered if the aniseed had anything to do with it? Also, I'm a bit sceptical when it comes to claims about 'solid droppings' but it is noticeable that my free-range birds (who don't get the grit) have much sloppier poos in the coop, naking it harder to clean out. That could be because of diet, I know, but it did make me wonder.

Anyone else tried this?

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Has anyone heard of giving chickens aniseed?

Post by drfish » 17 Feb 2014, 17:45

I know it's quite a fad thing for humans to have 'star anise' at the moment. To me, it looks like a petrified starfish, so I kind of avoid trying it.

Seems to be a lot of ideas for recipes. Maybe it's to pre-flavour the meat :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 17 Feb 2014, 23:09

My feed supplier was out of mixed corn on one occasion, so I bought some pigeon conditioner mix. It's got aniseed in it, and the hens all love it!

:)

Clarebelle
Chick
Chick

Post by Clarebelle » 18 Feb 2014, 08:44

I don't know how much good aniseed does but it probably doesn't do any harm that i've heard of. I also use the pigeon combination grit for my quail as I couldn't get hold of any small grit and they seem to like it and are doing really well, they haven't stopped laying this winter!

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 18 Feb 2014, 12:35

Good - glad I'm not the only one. I hadn't usually given the birds in the run in the field any grit, as I assumed they'd get all they needed from the ground, but I was surprised how quickly it was eaten. Perhaps it was the aniseed flavour.

craiggillibrand
Chick
Chick

Post by craiggillibrand » 18 Feb 2014, 12:36

i think aniseed flavour makes the food more palatable and is used to give more appetite
its also used in the rat poison i use so i try to avoid it for anything else
3 lemon millefleur sablepoot, pair serama, 5 pekins, 1 jack russel terrorist, large fish tank, 1 leopard gecko, 2 kids, oh and the wife