converting an old stone byre

Moderator: Moderators

Clarebelle
Chick
Chick

converting an old stone byre

Post by Clarebelle » 16 Feb 2014, 09:40

hello everyone,

I am on the verge of a move to Orkney. The house we have bought has several outbuildings, one of which I would like to convert to a chicken shed.

There are two stone byres, which would both be suitable I think. The problem is the previous owners put upvc windows in both buildings, none of which open so I need to ensure the building will be adequately ventilated. One of the buildings has one big window but the other has several very small windows all around the outside and I am assuming that originally these would have been windowless for the purpose of ventilation when it was still used for animals.

The buildings are pretty big and I dont intend to keep many hens so would the size of the building plus maybe a vent set into the door be enough to ventilate the building or do i realistically need to remove the windows?

thanks everyone, any advise on converting an old building like this is much appreciated.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: converting an old stone byre

Post by Henwife » 16 Feb 2014, 11:27

Personally I'd leve things as they are. Unless the byres are fully insulated and draught proof, they'll have plenty of ventilation from any direction the wind is coming from. I assume the chicken will have access to the great outdoors during daylight hours, and use the byre for shelter & egg laying.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

subruss

Post by subruss » 16 Feb 2014, 18:13

As above I dont think you will have a problem with ventilation. Aslong as the place can be secured and there is no direct droughts onto the place where they roost you have it made :grin: .

Clarebelle
Chick
Chick

Post by Clarebelle » 17 Feb 2014, 08:57

Thank you for your advice! I'll leave things as they are then for the moment. I can always make adjustments at a later date if needed.