Apple cider vinegar

Moderator: Moderators

georget
Chick
Chick

Apple cider vinegar

Post by georget » 13 Feb 2014, 17:32

Am i right giving them ACV in their water all the time? They have 2 plastic drinkers Igive them fresh water every weekend with a capful of ACV and topup the water daily or as neccassary.I also add crushed garlic for one week in four.Am i overdoing the ACV or should they have it all the time. :?: :grin:

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Apple cider vinegar

Post by drfish » 13 Feb 2014, 18:00

It won't hurt them to have it daily. It's probably a little overkill, but even so, they'll be fine. With a fresh water and an ACV water, they'll pick and choose what they want anyway, so stick to what you're doing if you're happy with it.

I personally don't use it anymore. I didn't find that it made any difference, or at least noticeable difference. The hens seem just as happy and healthy with or without.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 13 Feb 2014, 19:10

I've found that if I add anything to their water they avoid it and drink even more from the ponds in the garden :?
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

subruss

Post by subruss » 14 Feb 2014, 10:45

I wonder sometimes why I bother putting water out at all as they all seem to prefer dirty puddles,pond water,gutter water ect.If I do medicate water it is usually when birds are in isolation or on lock down and when I medicate food I half their rations for a few days so that they eat it all asap :)

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 14 Feb 2014, 11:04

I've actually given up with providing fresh water now. There seems little point as it can be there days without being touched. I just leave a washing up bowl conveniently stationed beneath a bit that drips on my tarpaulin, so currently it's being constantly replenished. The ducks get a fresh bath once a week, unless it's really hammered it down, then it's usually cleaned itself enough for them to still use it.

I think they can smell/taste the chlorine in the water when it's from a tap, so they choose to leave it and go for mother natures finest instead. Regardless of how minging it is :mrgreen:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 14 Feb 2014, 18:45

I've wondered if it dissolved minerals in puddles that makes ground water so attractive. My dogs prefer to drink from puddles too. Having said that, any hen that comes into the house makes a beeline for the dogs' water, even though it comes from the same tap as the stuff in their drinker. And those are just the ones that don't leap onto my desk and stick their horrible pointy beaks into my coffee.

Mind you, the cat likes to drink out of the loo ... :roll:

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 14 Feb 2014, 20:53

I used to have a large picture of a semi drowned cat on the inside of the loo lid to remind the absent minded of the possible consequences of not putting the lid down after use. All four sons (& husband) were very well trained.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.