New Set Up - Advice required

Moderator: Moderators

caz1234

New Set Up - Advice required

Post by caz1234 » 10 Feb 2014, 12:54

Hi,

We have wanted to keep chickens for a long time and now we have moved house we have more room to do so.

We have a large 24 feet x 12 feet shed and wondered if we could have our chicken coop inside the shed with an indoor run (for bad weather use - as we get so much of it!) and pop hole access to an out door run.

We were hoping to keep 4 - 6 hens. We were thinking of having a 2.5 x 5 metre run outside and a 2.5 x 3.5 metre run inside with the coop inside.

My questions are as follows:

1 Would this be OK? Is it big enough for 4 - 6 hens?
2 Would the coop be OK inside or would it need more ventilation?
3 I was looking at the Norfolk XL Chicken Coop - ECH-403 (777) http://www.ideas-4-pets.co.uk/norfolk-x ... tAodO3YA6gis this OK? Could an automatic pophole opener be fitted to this?

I wanted a plastic, easy clean coop - can you recommend any others I should consider?

Many thanks

Caroline

Thank you for any advice you an offer.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: New Set Up - Advice required

Post by drfish » 10 Feb 2014, 13:11

Personally, given what you have (i.e. an enormous shed), I'd be tempted to just do the conversion to a section of that, and then use it as the rest of your intention, doing away with the coop completely. A shed conversion is surprisingly straight forward, and offers you more room to clean out and service it than a normal coop would. By sectioning it off, you can then utilise the rest of the indoor bit as an indoor run, with lighting and some perch areas and such, and as you say, keep the outside run for when the mood takes.

Your indoor bit will require a lot of ventilation, probably best done in the form of air vents positioned high up, or using mesh to cover a section of removed wall.

Most chickens will do just fine though in inclement weather. It's only really the more cosmetic breeds, such as Silkies, Polands and Frizzles, and feathered feet varieties that tend to have an issue with bad weather. On saying that, my Silkies are that dumb they will happily stand outside come rain or shine :lol:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

caz1234

Post by caz1234 » 10 Feb 2014, 22:16

Thanks for that.

Is there any room for adding more chickens at a later date (I understand they are quite addictive :grin: )
Or is that my maximum?

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 11 Feb 2014, 10:51

Large fowl you could probably add another 2 or 3, bantams probably up to around a dozen in that space. Providing you leave enough perch room and nest boxes, the runs aren't a bad size at all, and they have the indoor/outdoor choice which will keep them occupied.

My run is 3m x 5m and I have 6 bantams in there with loads of room to spare. And the coop uses 4'x 6' of that ground space.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.