Wood preserve

Moderator: Moderators

georget
Chick
Chick

Wood preserve

Post by georget » 29 Jan 2014, 11:34

Wondering what to treat the coop with after it stops raining.I would love to get my hands on some creosote for the red mite situation,if its true?But apart from that i dont know whether to go for a substitute or just to paint it with exterior paint.Also i was wondering whether to paint the inside white undercoat.Any advice on this im new to keeping chickens :) George

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Wood preserve

Post by drfish » 29 Jan 2014, 12:01

If you can get the real deal creosote for the right price, use that. And yes, it is true. Red mites do not like creosote one bit.

Creocote works to some degree, but needs re-applying much more often to be effective.

Either of the above will do. Don't bother with fancy varnishes and stuff, waste of money. Either of the above, inside, outside, concentrating on perch ends, nooks and crannies and nestboxes.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

subruss

Post by subruss » 29 Jan 2014, 14:07

I use creocote works fine for waterproofing, if you do use creosote be careful can cause you problems without correct protection. I paint the inside of my chicken house but it is a brick outhouse.I find it helps fill in all the small cracks less places for mites to hide and makes it easier to cover all the walls when I spray insectocide :)

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 29 Jan 2014, 17:58

Do not think that by creosoting you will have completely neutralised any potential mite problem. I learnt to my cost that mites can become immune to creosote and proliferate in spite of its frequent use. Only Ficam W seems to be fool proof.

subruss

Post by subruss » 29 Jan 2014, 18:33

Ficam w is what I spray brilliant stuff but once again follow instructions can be dodgy stuff :)

georget
Chick
Chick

Post by georget » 20 Feb 2014, 10:53

Subruss.. where do you get Ficam w ? When I google it all the adverts say it is for proffessional use only.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 20 Feb 2014, 11:05

Ebay - you're a professional poultry keeper.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

georget
Chick
Chick

Post by georget » 20 Feb 2014, 11:51

Good answer henwife :thumbright: Ill try that..cheers =D>

Wozza1985
Chick
Chick

Post by Wozza1985 » 23 Feb 2014, 11:07

I'm due to treat my coop at end of the month and I bought creocote from my local toolstation.
They do dark or light brown.
£8.93 per 4L.

http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=80210