Treadle feeders

Moderator: Moderators

Birdybarb
Chick
Chick

Treadle feeders

Post by Birdybarb » 27 Jan 2014, 19:24

I have a treadle feeder that my clever husband made from a pattern I bought on Ebay. However it is made of wood and with all this rain it's now not shutting very well and so defeats the object of having one!
Does anyone have a type of metal treadle feeder they could recommend? My ducks and chucks use it so would need to be suitable for both. thanks :grin:

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Treadle feeders

Post by drfish » 28 Jan 2014, 10:36

Can you not make one from the wood pattern using sheet stainless steel or aluminium? It's not expensive to buy in 2'x'2 sheets (think it was about £8 a sheet for aluminium last time I bought some). Then a rivet gun or nuts and bolts to hold it together.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Birdybarb
Chick
Chick

Post by Birdybarb » 29 Jan 2014, 11:54

Ooh now hadn't thought of that! It might take some persuading as the wood one was difficult, getting the flap to work . I'll try pretty please and see what happens :-)

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 29 Jan 2014, 12:03

You might find it a little easier with metal. Metal is more pliable and easy to cut with a good pair of tin snips. Wood doesn't allow much margin for error as you can't 'tweak' the shape as easily. Be interested to see what it looks like if he pulls it off :thumbright:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.