Mud!

Moderator: Moderators

gemini

Re: Mud!

Post by gemini » 26 Jan 2014, 15:47

Well todays weather has made things ten times worse! I am now considering fencing off about a third of my small garden and just dumping a load of woodchips down. Would this be ok as a temporary solution or is there a better I could do? 8-[

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Re: Mud!

Post by jillychick » 26 Jan 2014, 16:35

Yes it does help in the short term. I get wood chips free so I use as much as I can but it does build up and break down quite quickly in the wet so I dig mine out every couple of months and replace. I then cart the used lot to our allotment( makes brilliant fertilized bulky material to dig in to the growing beds) Put a couple of raised bed boards up to keep it contained the chickens love it to scratch around in I've never had a problem using it. This wet weather is driving me nuts, had one of the ponds flood today!
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.