soggy sand!

Moderator: Moderators

Ninwedge
Chick
Chick

soggy sand!

Post by Ninwedge » 23 Dec 2013, 22:45

I'm sure there are lots of people with a similar problem after all this rain and I hope you might help me find a solution...
In my covered walk in run I have membrane topped with sharp sand. It has been great until recently but is now extremely soggy! Partly due to sideways rain, partly to waterlogged ground. I am now regretting the membrane as maybe it would've drained better without it. I am also wondering whether to put something on top of the sand to dry it out (either bliss-chopped rape straw or wood chips). Do you think this would be a good/bad idea?
Many thanks

ladyplumber

Re: soggy sand!

Post by ladyplumber » 24 Dec 2013, 01:10

Try forking it all over and so piercing the membrane - should soak away better :thumbright:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 24 Dec 2013, 08:34

If it's a polythene membrane then replace it with some of that black stuff sold in garden centres that water can drain through. If that's what you've got, don't worry, it will drain eventually. Yesterday's rain was exceptional - I was out walking dogs in it.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 28 Dec 2013, 12:21

I use the black porous stuff and don't have any issues. My biggest issue is getting the duck poo to break down and go through it. Takes a good downpour for that to happen, revealing the clean sand again as it does so.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.