special feeds for moulting hens ?

Moderator: Moderators

soufle
Chick
Chick

Re: special feeds for moulting hens ?

Post by soufle » 08 Nov 2013, 09:31

talking about lice prevention brings me to scaly leg. One of the tattiest and sorriest looking girls looks to have the start of scaly leg so Ive sent for the pigeon licenced Ivermectin thingy who's name escapes me and I'm gonna make a flowers of sulphur /petroleum jelly topical treatment for any which appear to be infected. Not looking forward to this as theyre not hand reared and very flighty and the cock is a bruiser. I intend to close the pop hole the night before ,I usually leave it open so they can access their run as it comes light (this gives me another hour in bed :) ) The plan then is to ambush one by one as they emerge .It all sounds simple and it may be but there's going to be one hell of a lot of squawking and flapping going on. 8-[

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 08 Nov 2013, 09:33

ooow , while i think....what is the withdrawal period for eggs with Ivermectin ? Only about three laying so will have to chuck those.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 08 Nov 2013, 09:45

Most people say don't worry about it too much. Don't think anyone's suffered ill health due to it, but the recommended is 7 days.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Post by son of eddy » 08 Nov 2013, 11:30

soufle wrote:talking about lice prevention brings me to scaly leg. One of the tattiest and sorriest looking girls looks to have the start of scaly leg so Ive sent for the pigeon licenced Ivermectin thingy who's name escapes me and I'm gonna make a flowers of sulphur /petroleum jelly topical treatment for any which appear to be infected. Not looking forward to this as theyre not hand reared and very flighty and the cock is a bruiser. I intend to close the pop hole the night before ,I usually leave it open so they can access their run as it comes light (this gives me another hour in bed :) ) The plan then is to ambush one by one as they emerge .It all sounds simple and it may be but there's going to be one hell of a lot of squawking and flapping going on. 8-[
What you mean is harkermectin. Why do the job in day light when the chooks will claim that you're at least trying to cut their throats and you'll come out feeling like you've just done three rounds with Mike Tyson. Do it at night when the birds have gone to roost. Though more difficult doing the job by torch light its also easier as you don't get pandemonium break out and the chooks won't need stress counselling afterwards.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 09 Nov 2013, 15:50

thanks all ,I keep reading about doing it in the dark (maybe I should rephrase that ) . Because of the size and shape of the house and where the access door is situated it might be a bit difficult unless I'm missing something (thinking with the female side of the brain maybe?) The shed is 6 x4 and the door is at one 4' end but the three roosts go the other way (from long side to long side ) so although the lot on the first roost would be easy enough to reach ,how do i reach across to the other two roosts ,the furthest one being further than I can reach unless I'm on me knees on the hen house floor and only then after I remove roost number one .This may be a serious design fault in't henhouse but it is as it is. There's 11 hens and a cock in there. I'm open to all ideas. :scratch:

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 09 Nov 2013, 19:46

You know the layout of your house and the apparent easiest way of doing what you have to do,while it is easier to pick them off their perches when they have been roosting for a while i would go and do it whatever way you see fit :-k

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 09 Nov 2013, 19:47

Although there are definite advantages to doing it (!) at night, you will get just as much fight and noise from them at that time as you would during the day in my experience. Then your neighbours will think you are murdering them and report you to the RSPCA because they can't see what you're doing. If you do it in the day time before you let them out in the morning, you can climb in the shed with them (taking all your paraphenalia with you) and as you treat each one, chuck it out the door.

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 09 Nov 2013, 19:53

:thumbright:

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 09 Nov 2013, 20:20

thanks Kated and Laffinfowl , I did take a look through the door at lock up to see which perches they were on and how many . I'd about come to the conclusion that if I and my little helper start just as it comes light we can do each one and put it out in the run. There's going to be some commotion whatever but I dont have close neighbours !

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 10 Nov 2013, 09:21

done ! Phew !