Our Hen Houses/ Coops

Moderator: Moderators

Captain Carrot
Pullet
Pullet

Re: Our Hen Houses/ Coops

Post by Captain Carrot » 15 Mar 2012, 20:11

no idea what easichick is. I use wood shavings in my other coops, but it's pricy. I would need a couple of bales to cover the barn with it, and because I also have ducks I'll be cleaning it out often. Free straw works for me :)
Altsteirer, Bielefelders, Welsummer bantams, Silkies and Muscovy ducks (sold a load of them :) )

Chickenshed

Post by Chickenshed » 19 Mar 2012, 11:50

Ok - so I am having a panick at the moment.... you can see from the pictures the size of the coop and run - the coop itself has a shelf (albeit a small one) and now a nest box with three nesting areas and a lid (so another area for the chickens to jump on)..... they also jump around on their food bin too - but do my girls have enough space?????? They have more than they have ever had, but still they are desperate to come out of the run all the time...... They are in and out of the coop like yoyo's... I have a treat block hanging for them in their run also.... I am thinking about making little perches (from old logs with 3be2 between them) for their run, but now concerned that If I do that, I am giving them stuff to do - but taking up space......

Why is keeping chickens such a constant worry! if I am not worried about space, I am worried about bordom.... If I am not worried about bordom I am worried about foxes.....if I am not worried about foxes, I am worried about red mite...... Its easier when I don't work from home because at least then I don't watch them during the day and worry about them! ](*,) :angryfire: ](*,)

WileECoyote
Chick
Chick

Post by WileECoyote » 12 Apr 2012, 17:53

Here is my DIY coop. It is intended only for the birds to roost in and to lay eggs. All feeding is done outside. It has a wire mesh bottom for the poo to fall through. The coop is designed similar to a sedan chair with poles sticking out at each end so two people can move it onto fresh ground every two or three days. It was made with materials that were laying around so cost virtually nothing to make.

The outer layer is some old rusty tin sheeting that blew off our old barn, turned galvanised side out rusty side in and painted green. The frame itself is made of 3" x 2" timber. The inside of the box frame is lined with plywood. Between the tin and plywood is a layer of polystyrene insulation foam on three of the walls and the roof. The intention being that the coop remains cool in summer but reasonably warm in winter. The door slides up and down and has a bolt to secure it open or shut. The nesting box lid lifts up at the front and has a hook and eye to keep it closed.

Inside there are two perches running the width of the coop placed at different heights, though the hens seem to prefer the lower one.

This my first attempt at designing and making a coop. The hens seem to like it anyway.

Always remember to close your chicken coop door:
Sunset reminder application for Windows 7, Vista and XP computers.
http://www.avisoft.co.uk/SunsetReminder.htm

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 12 Apr 2012, 18:49

Very nice job,looks fine to me,have you got the wire ventilation grill covered with something ? Only other thing i would do is raise it up on some breeze blocks or something to prevent the nestbox taking up damp from the ground and also to prevent vermin burrowing under and in.

WileECoyote
Chick
Chick

Post by WileECoyote » 13 Apr 2012, 09:00

The nest box is raised about an inch off the floor by a couple of wooden runners underneath it. I was in two minds about how much and how to ventilate. The grill is really a window just to let some light in, other than that I'm relying on ventilation coming in from around the edges of the sliding door and the edges of the nesting box but mainly from underneath due to it having no bottom and the ground being somewhat uneven. I read somewhere that hens need good ventilation but draughts aren't good for them, the book spoke of diffused air rather than gaping holes. This left me somewhat confused on how much and how to ventilate.

Not sure about vermin either. There are lots of mice around here but I've never seen a rat. There is old folklore that where you have one you don't have the other but I don't know how true that is. I'd read that mice aren't a problem to hens as they are likely to peck them to death! Don't know about rats though, are they dangerous to hens? In principle rats could dig underneath the coop and fit between the holes in the mesh to get in. The mesh is actually standard chain link fencing which seems sturdy enough to keep out larger predators such as foxes but not rats or mice.

Any and all advice welcome - I'm a total beginner.
Always remember to close your chicken coop door:
Sunset reminder application for Windows 7, Vista and XP computers.
http://www.avisoft.co.uk/SunsetReminder.htm

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 13 Apr 2012, 09:13

I was told the same when we had a rat problem at our last house - we had the pest control out to deal with them and after a couple of visits all we were catching in the traps were mice (which hadn't been a problem before). We are surrounded by farms here and do have a rat problem, but we also have mice, shrews and field voles so I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions :). We have lockable bait boxes, a terrier and 3 cats cats that help keep them down, but I know we will never really get rid completely. If you want to keep the base open I would get yourself some of the thickest gauge, smallest meshed weldmesh and replace the chainlink - rats (and mice) will get in and in the past I have lost a couple of youngsters to rats, they will also spread disease and leave dropping in your, very nice, coop.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

tomo911

Re:

Post by tomo911 » 23 May 2012, 16:23

Bhindi wrote:Ok heres mine, though plenty have seen these pics already.

Absolutly brilliant, your chickens must be very happy. =D>

Rodders

Post by Rodders » 03 Jun 2012, 11:43

I'm new on here so hope this uploads.
This is my conversion of a B & Q shed!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bhindi
Hen
Hen

Re: Re:

Post by Bhindi » 03 Jun 2012, 23:31

tomo911 wrote:
Bhindi wrote:Ok heres mine, though plenty have seen these pics already.

Absolutly brilliant, your chickens must be very happy. =D>
Thank you.. It's even better now.. I should update my pics.

Rodders that B&Q shed looks fabulous. Must be nice and easy for you to clean.
I 'still' don't eat things that had a face!

Rodders

Post by Rodders » 04 Jun 2012, 11:48

Hi Bhindi, yes very easy to clean, the perches all lift out and the girls really like it, just wish i could stop the sparrows going in through the pop hole!
Really impressed with your house and run, it must be most poultry keepers dream setup.

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 04 Jun 2012, 16:14

Welcome to the forum Rodders,very smart job there,you could go into business converting them,try a bit of strawberry netting over the run to keep out the sparrows.

Rodders

Post by Rodders » 05 Jun 2012, 15:13

Thanks for the advice LaffinFowl, I have put up some fruit netting which has come under heavy attack from the sparrows but seems to be working at the moment.

kitschyduck

Post by kitschyduck » 17 Jun 2012, 18:19

Hoping to get a new set up soon, as mine is a hen house combined with an old rabbit hutch. Does the job though.

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 17 Jun 2012, 19:54

One of mine.
Picture 379.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stu4668

Post by stu4668 » 17 Jun 2012, 21:24

looks good kitschyduk