Chicken run on bare ground

Moderator: Moderators

AyeAyeMagpie
Chick
Chick

Chicken run on bare ground

Post by AyeAyeMagpie » 11 Aug 2018, 10:21

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm preparing to start keeping chickens. Planning to have 4 large breed hens in an eglu cube with a 6' x 9' enclosed run with roof and woodchip on top of bare earth.

I've cleared the area of ground where the run will be erected. It's a pre-fab run. I'm concerned about placing the wooden frame straight onto the bare ground, as I don't want it to get damp and rot. I'm also wondering about how to anchor it so that it doesn't blow over in high wind. Does anyone else have experience of putting up a pre-fab run on bare ground and what would you advise?

I'm a complete newbie to chickens so please feel free to let me know if there's any other obvious issues with my plan! :)

CP

Re: Chicken run on bare ground

Post by CP » 12 Aug 2018, 10:36

Welcome AyeAyeMagpie. :grin:

I don't have a free-standing run so maybe not the best person to advise but here goes!

I'm guessing the run has a wooden framework. You will have to protect the area just outside the run against foxes too, so paving slabs that just go under the run edges & extending out a few feet might be the way to go. You'll also have to anchor it down against high winds & possibly foxes also if it's easily lifted. You can probably buy something purpose-made similar to a tent peg, or you could make your own out of wire, if you or your OH are that way inclined! HTH. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 12 Aug 2018, 18:54

If you put "easygrip post shoe" into Google these might be something you could use to anchor the corner posts.

AyeAyeMagpie
Chick
Chick

Post by AyeAyeMagpie » 13 Aug 2018, 18:46

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't think the easygrip shoe will work on the run I've gone for. It's a series of prefabricated panels screwed together.

I think a tent peg and strap system might work. Another suggestion I've been given is to put short posts into the ground at the corners and secure it to them.

I'm surprised an anchoring system hasn't been built into the design itself.