Lost two birds last night

An area for those members in France to discuss things that are specific to France. Normal discussion should be in the main forum areas.

Moderator: Moderators

Lost two birds last night

Postby NannyP » 03 Jan 2014, 10:15

Feeling really annoyed this morning. Our neighbours acquired a puppy 5 mnths ago and she can get into our garden. I found her there 3 times yesterday after hearing the sound of distressed chickens. I was missing 2 birds last night as I locked up, my Lavender Pekin Hen and a pekin chick of 10 weeks :(

The French seem to have a whole different mind set re animals, chickens etc and do not take the loss of a chicken or two that seriously. Magalie said to me last night when I messaged her, don't worry I will replace them if they're lost. I cannot explain to her that they are special and that she cannot replace a bird I hatched from an egg from the UK 2 years ago and is the only bird capable of replacing my losses :(

We have a good relationship with our neighbours at the back, they've been using the vegetable plot with our permission. All we asked is that they secured it yo keep my sheep out. They haven't done that and now the dog can get in. Mark and I will secure our perimeter today and they'll loose the use of the veggie plot.

Meanwhile, I am hoping the Mrs Pekin and her chick will somehow reappear this morning after a night in the woods. The likelihood of that is slim. Also hoping the missing chick is one of the 3 coqs and not a hen :?

Thank you, rant over.

CP likes this post.
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Re: Lost two birds last night

Postby CP » 03 Jan 2014, 10:54

Oh NannyP, what a shame & how infuriating! :angryfire:

You try to keep on good terms with your neighbours & this happens....well, I hope they realise just how upset & annoyed you are once they cannot access the vegetable plot any more! :angryfire:

Neighbours can be such a source of annoyance but in order to keep the peace, what can you do?
We have a neighbour who continually lets their yappy little dog bark outside when they know it will not shut up. It barks when we go in our garden & when we drive down the driveway it chases along the hedge & barks all the way. When our other neighbours go in & out of their back door it barks at them too. I have mentioned it to the wife but all she said was she was trying to train it not to...it's almost 2 years old now. Can't take it too far as we have a cockerel that they could easily start complaining about if they wanted to. No one else seems to complain either.
The husband has also ruined 2 parts of our fencing due to various reasons but he's a very difficult man to talk to & at the moment he's providing us with free logs for the fire! :roll:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

NannyP likes this post.
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby Moriarty » 03 Jan 2014, 12:41

oh criminy Nanny P, so sorry to hear that. Difficult situation but securing the fence has to be done. You're right, to the French it's just a chicken, and there's plenty of them running around all over the place. Eggs and meat, that's all they're for. But yours are special breeds, and it's clearly lost on your neighbour. However, peace with a neighbour is a valuable thing and can be hard won, but easily lost. It all has to be handled so delicately. Good luck. And fingers crossed, perhaps your chooks may come back, it's a remote chance but it's still a chance.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

CP likes this post.
Moriarty

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby NannyP » 03 Jan 2014, 14:19

We get along well with them, and I cannot change their thinking, it's the French culture. I wish I could change their thinking about being responsible for their dog, but that too is left to chance. I notice more and more that the French (the one's I have met and know) are reactive and rarely proactive.

Perimeter now secure as far as we are able with what we have here. Found a piece of rolled up fencing wire which has done a good job with some bits and we've used our very heavy pallets from wood deliveries to block the rest. I doesn't look pretty but I don't care, it's a good job I am used to make do and mend and not a perfectionist.

I've told her they are still missing and that she can't replace them and that the best thing she can do is make sure the dog cannot get over again.

Meanwhile, I am off to check to see whether it's a coq or hen chick that's gone :?

CP likes this post.
NannyP

Postby Lily » 03 Jan 2014, 15:28

What an awful start to the new year for you, I'm so sorry. :crybaby:
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."

NannyP likes this post.
Lily
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 20 posts

Postby ladyplumber » 03 Jan 2014, 18:00

Good god, I bet you had to bite your tongue ! ](*,) ( Can you swear in French ? )

So sorry it's messed up your breeding plans, and hope they return safe and sound xx [-o<
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Postby NannyP » 03 Jan 2014, 18:36

The chick is back, looking a little battered (just off to check her over properly as couldn't catch her earlier). No sign of Mrs Pekin which is sad, as she is a pet.
:|
NannyP

Postby kated » 03 Jan 2014, 19:35

NannyP wrote:We get along well with them, and I cannot change their thinking, it's the French culture.

Not just the French either NannyP. Twenty years or so ago, my daughter's prize OEG bantams were killed by a neighbour's dogs which broke in at the back of my small field, dug under the run and killed the lot. Her reaction? Thanks for bringing my dog back, sorry about your hens, these things happen in the country, you'll just have to put up with it. It took a visit from a very sympathetic (to us) country policeman to bring her somewhat to heel.

Really sorry about your little Pekin, I know what a wrench it is.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby NannyP » 03 Jan 2014, 19:49

Thanks Kate :grin:

I have 2 chicks in a box indoors tonight. The one I was concerned about has some bald spots on her back but they don't look new, they look a few days old. They've been sprayed with purple spray anyway. Another had a big lump of poo attached to feathers below it's bum. After some washing and some stink, it wouldn't come off, so has been snipped off with nail scissors.
:-& :-&
After his bath, he was wrapped in a towel for 10 mins whilst we dealt with his sister. They're now bedded down in a small box (with lid and 2 air holes) in the utility room.

ladyplumber likes this post.
NannyP

Postby nigel » 03 Jan 2014, 21:16

The Swedes also have a similar attitude. Back in Sweden one of our neighbours had three rough collies that were left to roam free. They chased the local sheep but curiously avoided our goats. When we lost three geese I was never sure if I should blame the fox or them.

Sadly you can't change cultural attitudes to animals. The locals never understood why we kept Troy (our Weimaraner) in the house either.
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard
nigel
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby NannyP » 03 Jan 2014, 22:59

Oh yes, dogs in the house! Unless they're handbag dogs, in which case they can eat at then bloody table with you in restaurants.

Good news. I returned the 2 chicks to henquarters 30 mins ago and Mrs Pekin is there, roosting on the top rail with her mates. So, after all that, everyone is there.

I need to knit them little numbered shirts so I can count them all in at night :cry:

:grin: :grin:

4 people like this post.
NannyP

Postby Moriarty » 03 Jan 2014, 23:10

oh excellent news that they're all back. What a carry-on! Good result. And good luck with the knitting ... !! :-)
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

NannyP likes this post.
Moriarty

Postby CP » 04 Jan 2014, 04:33

So glad they're all home safe! [-o< ;) :grin:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

NannyP likes this post.
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby kated » 04 Jan 2014, 14:02

So pleased for you NannyP!

NannyP likes this post.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby Lily » 04 Jan 2014, 19:55

Oh WOW! glad they're home safe. :cheers:
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."
Lily
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 20 posts

Next

Return to Franglais