Diatomaceous earth

An area for those members in France to discuss things that are specific to France. Normal discussion should be in the main forum areas.

Moderator: Moderators

Diatomaceous earth

Postby Moriarty » 15 Nov 2012, 08:42

Is there an online supplier of diatomaceous earth in France? I'm worried about buying the wrong stuff which is apparently used for pools and is dangerous to the chooks.
One of mine has what I think are fleas ... very small, yellow/brown, oval but don't jump but got onto me and get everywhere, in my hair, etc. What can I dust her with, an over the counter preparation? Will cat flea powder do?
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..
Moriarty

Liked in: 212 posts

Re: Diatomaceous earth

Postby Henwife » 15 Nov 2012, 08:58

I shouldn't think cat flea powder would do any harm. I use ant powder if I have to dust a bird and it seems to work.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby ladyplumber » 15 Nov 2012, 10:24

Henwife wrote:I use ant powder if I have to dust a bird and it seems to work.

I do too, can you get it in France ?
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Postby Moriarty » 15 Nov 2012, 13:26

yes ant powder is no problem to get here, it's the diam. earth that I was interested in. Does it really make a difference? MAJOR red mite problem here - however, have bit the bullet, saved my pennies and just today placed an order with Green Frog for their large chicken lodge. Hopefully being able to clean and hose regularly, dismantle and treat easily will solve this! Oh dear, I took up chickens as a cheap hobby and I spend more on them than I do on myself sometimes ... !!!
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..
Moriarty

Postby jaydee67 » 07 Dec 2012, 09:42

Got feather lice here too - horrible things! Treating with Xeno from the vets, not a cheap option!
jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 31 posts

Postby drfish » 07 Dec 2012, 11:14

If you just look for food grade diatomaceous earth, you can't go wrong. The other stuff should be well marked as toxic.

But ant and flea powder should be fine. If it's safe on mammals, it's generally safe on chickens.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Lily » 07 Dec 2012, 13:45

Sounds like lice, my cock had them a few years ago.
A few sprays of Johnsons mite spray for caged birds killed them dead!
Good stuff to keep in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Johnsons-Antimi ... 282&sr=8-1
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."
Lily
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 20 posts

Postby sarros » 01 Mar 2013, 10:19

Just get some louse powder from your local feed merchant e.g. Gamm Vert or Leclerc Animalerie. You need to dust them down every 5 days for 3 sessions (including all the birds that come into contact with the infected chook). Make sure you get the dust under their feathers and not just on the surface. Diatom will work too, but not found it over here.

Re the green frog house, redmite will live in that no probs. They can live anywhere where there are nooks and crannies, sorry :( I agree that they appear easy to dismantle and use a pressure washer on though.
sarros

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Moriarty » 01 Mar 2013, 10:25

Thanks for all replies, will trot along to GammVert this morning and browse their selection. I'll also get some mite spray as well. The GreenFrog house is so easy to dismantle and clean and hose out, so I'm fairly confident that if there's red mite (not seen any so far) then I'm winning the battle against it.
Moriarty

Return to Franglais