Breeding and showing

An area for those members in France to discuss things that are specific to France. Normal discussion should be in the main forum areas.

Moderator: Moderators

Breeding and showing

Postby MrsMopp » 09 Dec 2010, 18:23

Is there any kind of poultry showing scene in France? What about a market for breeding and selling pure breeds? You don't hear about it much. TIA
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 33 posts

Re: Breeding and showing

Postby mojo » 09 Dec 2010, 21:29

most deptments(countys) have at least to shows a year autumn birds and spring eggs and chicks...............lots of aviculture clubs over here (poultry pidgeons and rabbits i know dont ask).........lots of breeders lots of one breed clubs(look at Marans france) but not so many breeds...........shows are for pure breeds all the crosses go to market as 3 Fs...french farm fowl(some of them look like pure breeds but aint
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend
mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Liked in: 25 posts

Postby goatlady » 10 Dec 2010, 07:47

Here is a list of poultry shows by region:
http://www.ffc.asso.fr/expos/index.htm

And here is a really excellent poutry site that I have been consulting for some time:
http://volaillepoultry.pagesperso-orange.fr/index.html

It is best to click on the French flag on the home page. There are a limited number of pages in English (by clicking on the Union Jack), but they don't contain much useful information. The French pages have loads and loads of stuff, including breed information (other poultry and waterfowl as well), lists of breeders for each breed (including quail, turkeys, waterfowl etc., and even a section on other animals like rabbits, chinchillas, donkeys....), information on supplies, links, and a list of European and French poultry shows and exhibitions ("Les lieux et dates des expositions de basse-cour" for anyone who struggles a bit with French).

Hope that helps! :grin:
Last edited by goatlady on 10 Dec 2010, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 30 posts

Postby MrsMopp » 10 Dec 2010, 15:37

Thanks both - thats very encouraging. I've taken a look and I could see a whole new world opening up if I kept Marans - I could be European Marans egg champion :lol: I will have to brush up my French (mind you its taken me a while to understand avian terms in English :grin: ) if we decide to move. Which is a big if. But I like to be prepared, so this is very useful. Thanks very much.
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Postby sarros » 13 Jul 2012, 22:14

Hi Mrs Mopp,

Its a bit late in replying but I've just joined this forum yesterday. I joined my local poultry club last year and have learnt so much in so little time. I breed Dottes and have discovered a whole world out there with regards to poultry shows, national championships etc. They show a lot of chickens (obviously) but equal amounts of pigeons and bunnies too. Its actually very big over here, despite the so-called recession being in place. Most shows are as previously mentioned in the autumn and winter. Its very easy to show, all you need to do is have the official leg rings, which can be bought from your local poultry club or a club from the web, plus have your stock vaccinated and an attestation to prove it. The required vaccine for chooks is Newastle's Disease. You have to be a little choosey about which shows as some of them I've heard aren't checked over by vets first...so the poultry are riddled with lice, mites and in poor health. Go for it - they are a friendly bunch and very encouraging.
sarros

Liked in: 1 post

Postby MrsMopp » 14 Jul 2012, 09:24

Thank you for updating, thats really useful. In fact, it must be fate :grin: I've found a house which looks promising on paper although I've yet to see it in the flesh and OH is nearly ready to go for it.....we'll have to see; its a massive step and may not happen for a variety of reasons, but I am quite excited [-o<
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Postby sarros » 14 Jul 2012, 15:04

If you think you can manage financially out here (obviously if its for retirement you should be ok), then you won't regret it. I think the main reason people return to the UK is because finances don't work out. If you intend to work, you should be prepared to do seasonal work for a couple of years, such as apple and strawberry picking. Once you have a minimum of 4 months' work under your belt, you can claim the unemployment benefit which is substantially more than it is in the UK. If you work 6 months in every 13, you can rely on an average income of about 1100€ per month whilst working, and about 800-850€ unemployment. Its do-able!

Its been hard but we don't regret it for one minute, no matter how tight the belt gets. Oh, and most people go through a holiday period of about a year which is obviously great fun! Go on, you know you want to have a peek at that house! ;)
sarros

Liked in: 1 post

Return to Franglais