Problem with mites?

An area for those members in France to discuss things that are specific to France. Normal discussion should be in the main forum areas.

Moderator: Moderators

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Problem with mites?

Post by Lindsay » 27 Sep 2010, 22:19

Hello,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but as it concerns a French hen ...

First, I'd like to say how much help I've got from reading this forum. Just about any question I can think of has been answered at some time by such knowledgeable people who are kind enough to share their expertise.

So, I have a little brown French hen. She is different from the others - growls in a deep bass voice rather than clucks, likes to be carried around, and is unfortunately a coffee fiend (if I put my cup of ever-present coffee on the ground when I sit down, she has her beak into it immediately slurping away ...)

My problem is that yesterday my daughter and I spent nearly twenty minutes watching her do the oddest thing. She kept picking up bits of straw in her beak, turning her head around, and sticking them into her feathers. Mostly they fell out, but some stayed put and she she walked around looking very strange with them poking out at all angles. None of them lasted long in position, but she kept trying to replace them. Eventually she gave up and wandered off.

At the time, I put it down to just one of her peculiarities, but then I started wondering if she had mites. I've checked her - she seems perfectly healthy, and she is laying fine. I checked the henhouse - no sign of anything. It was cleaned out last week and I dusted a fair bit of Saniterpen around.

Should I worry?

Thanks in advance.

CP

Re: Problem with mites?

Post by CP » 28 Sep 2010, 01:36

They often do this when broody. I'm guessing it's a camouflage-type thing? They would be more vunerable when sitting on a nest of eggs. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 28 Sep 2010, 08:17

Ah, thanks.

I went from thinking about the old-fashioned idea of lunatics sticking straws in their hair, to wondering if she been reading MacBeth ;) and then I remembered a picture I once saw of chimpanzees sticking twigs into a termites nest to encourage the insects to crawl up and be eaten.

However, it fits her personality much better that she believes that wandering around with straws sticking out in all directions makes her 'invisible' :roll:

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 28 Sep 2010, 08:47

hi Lindsay.........give her a dusting with insect powder(greenplastic pot from gamme verte)under wings and around vent as here in france is the time for grass mite which chooks pick p if they free range...............but as CP says it is often a sign of broodinesses onset .............post again if you need help stopping here being broody
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 28 Sep 2010, 12:45

mojo wrote:give her a dusting with insect powder(greenplastic pot from gamme verte)under wings and around vent as here in france is the time for grass mite which chooks pick p if they free range
Thanks - yes they are completely free range.

The Saniterpen I have says it is "Insecticide poudre au pyrèthre végétal" for "Puces, poux, fourmis, tiques, punaises, cafards et mites" - but only mentions to use it in the henhouse. So not on the hen herself? I ask because it is in a white plastic pot, but has a green label ...

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 28 Sep 2010, 16:07

lindsay the white pot is for use in the coop the green one is for chooks and other animals

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 28 Sep 2010, 19:55

Thanks again. I'll get some tomorrow.

Can I ask another question? I've read on the internet that pumpkin seeds act as a wormer - is this true? Mine get cooked pumpkin in their supper most nights - skin, flesh and seeds.

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 28 Sep 2010, 22:02

skin is said to make them poo so not too much is a good idea

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 29 Sep 2010, 19:33

I'll try and make this the last question ...

I have a pair of Araucanas. I got them in a French market, but my French isn't great, and I didn't manage to ask if they were bantams or just young (they said they were born this year though). I'm planning on getting a couple more from a local farmer, but his are full size.

Will it matter if my coq is a bantam? He has had a go at mounting one of the large Marans, but they will squat for anything.

And while I'm posting anyway :) , could some kind person tell me what kind of Marans mine are? I'm assuming they are French Copper.

And what (if any) kind of Araucana?

Well ... I would put up pictures, but I can't see how to! I've tried the FAQ, and this forum uses the same software as on another I regularly post on, so I know how to do it. Maybe it is because I'm in France.

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 29 Sep 2010, 22:07

the french market breedrs usually sell bantams as they are very popular ashome birds.......commercial use large fowl...nain for banties grand race for large fowl.......bantie coqs usually can mount most large fowl but a large coq can damage bantie hens.............what colour are your aracunas? and if you cant post piccys try to describe them fully

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 29 Sep 2010, 23:11

I've managed to upload the photos to Photobucket.

This is the URL - not sure how to do this - I haven't done it before!

http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad161/galore1/Hens/

It worked! And I discovered that if you click on the picture, it enlarges. (Can't find a smug smiley, but I'd use it if there was one).

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer my questions.

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 14 Oct 2010, 18:20

mojo wrote:lindsay the white pot is for use in the coop the green one is for chooks and other animals
I've searched and searched, but can only find the white pot. So today I bought (from Ali-Vert) an orange can just called "Spray". It is actually for racing pigeons, but the man said it can be used on hens as well.

It says to use it against - feather lice, tailbone lice, fleas, ticks and red mites.

Contains - Pyreth. 0.25% - Piper butox 2%

Has anyone else used this?

brahmarama

Post by brahmarama » 15 Oct 2010, 18:08

Is it made by Rhodeo?

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 15 Oct 2010, 18:56

brahmarama wrote:Is it made by Rhodeo?
No - Columbine.

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Post by Gilly C » 15 Oct 2010, 19:05

Lindsay I have posted them for you it is the img code just copy and paste it in reply box it is the bottom one :)