poorly chuck

An area for those members in France to discuss things that are specific to France. Normal discussion should be in the main forum areas.

Moderator: Moderators

Franglais

poorly chuck

Post by Franglais » 26 Sep 2010, 13:55

Hi,

This morning one of my Lemon Cuckoo's is feeling a little off colour.

She seems to have a cross between a sneeze and a cough and is wheezing with mouth open. She is getting about
and I have seen her eat and drink but she is still a little lerthargic compared to usual. She is about 22 weeks old.

I have syringed some Ronaxan 5% to her this morning and will give her some more this evening.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what this is and advise me further of what else to do.

I have cleaned her coop out this morning as well, although it is cleaned every week anyway.

Thanks all.

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Re: poorly chuck

Post by mojo » 26 Sep 2010, 20:54

first thing seperate from others...........put her somewhere draft free.............second hold firmly and listen to chest.......is it wheezy?...............have you wormed it lately ..........if not do now..........check for imflammation of thoat and crop(will feel warm)...........a drop or two of honey in warm water often helps........if she will drink give in usual bowl.....good luck tell us what happens
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

Franglais

Post by Franglais » 27 Sep 2010, 06:49

Hi Mojo, Thank you for your advice.

I am off down there now to let them out and have my fingers crossed she is still at least lively.

Will let you know.

Franglais

lizshereen

Post by lizshereen » 27 Sep 2010, 07:42

the french vet told me to put her in a box with a hot water betadine solution put a cover over and leave for 10 min so she breathes the fumes helps open the airways I also used vicks in the water I lost six last winter to resp infection but 18 survived I also got marboycl 20mg tablets from the vets for a small girl 1/4 tab a day

Franglais

Post by Franglais » 27 Sep 2010, 08:56

Hi,

Thankfully she is still lively this morning, going around with the others but still coughing/sneezing and wheezing a bit.

She isnt too lethargic and has her tail up still.

She has drunk the water with the antibiotics in and she has been pecking around, allbeit not as much as the others but still eating.

Sounds like good idea to put her in a box with a vapour, I will see what she is like this afternoon and if she is still the same might give it a go.

I am hoping that the antibiotics kick in shortly, not sure of the timescale on these things, I know in humans its usually about 48 hours but I guess that would be too long for a chuck, so hoping they start working today.

She is a lovely girl and would hate to lose her.

Thanks again for the replies, so good to have a little support and advice when things arent going too good.

Franglais

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 27 Sep 2010, 09:04

hope things improve but do remember ....if a chook is poorly ALWAYS seperate and put in a hospital coop........poultry infections spread like wildfire and its easy to lose several chooks
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

DB08
Pullet
Pullet

Post by DB08 » 27 Sep 2010, 09:33

Hope she's better soon! [-o<

Franglais

Post by Franglais » 28 Sep 2010, 14:04

Hi all,
Just to let you know that she is still with me, her breathing seems less laboured today which I am presuming is because
the Antibiotics have finally kicked in. She still has a little cough/sneeze but is drinking and eating well so I have my
fingers crossed she doesnt take a backwards step and continues to do well.

Will let you know in a couple of days.

Thanks to everyone for all your advice, most appreciated.