Living in France.

An area for those members in France to discuss things that are specific to France. Normal discussion should be in the main forum areas.

Moderator: Moderators

Greggorio

Re: Living in France.

Post by Greggorio » 30 Oct 2010, 12:34

alottttt of people are moving back currently. If you don't have some sort of cash flow coming in from something then in the long term its very hard to live out here

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 30 Oct 2010, 14:19

and since moving here we have seen our pensions go down by almost a third due to currency flucuations........luckly we live french style life so thats cheaper than living UK styleover here
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 30 Oct 2010, 16:12

Oh yes, we're poorer by a third, but far richer in other ways. (Someone pass the hat round please!) :grin:

Greggorio

Post by Greggorio » 31 Oct 2010, 09:01

Yeah people on pensions over here live in an alternate reality where it's all milk and honey. Whereas people who have to work live in a state of constant stress and worry lol

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 31 Oct 2010, 10:16

youve got those two reversed

Greggorio

Post by Greggorio » 31 Oct 2010, 10:41

pffft people with pensions have more of an income than me. You know exactly what you're getting the following month. when one job ends for me I sometimes have a couple of months of 0 work.

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 31 Oct 2010, 10:46

Lily wrote:
When hubby retires we are thinking about moving there.
The question was posed to retired people. I would never have contemplated living over here, with very little language and no guaranteed income.

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 31 Oct 2010, 10:57

the most important thing in my opinion is BEFORE you come learn a wee bit of the language..............you dont need to be fluent just enough to be polite ask for help etc............never ever spend all your capital(Keep a quarter for those nasty surprizes) ..........never buy too much land(it hell to keep tidy when you get old & you must keep it tidy by law ).......and remember you transport needs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,its lovely in the rural countryside but do you both drive?./what if the only driver is ill..............but its fun the food is great.....the wine is super....and its fairly polution free except for farm smells!!....move back to UK..........me?? NEVER

Greggorio

Post by Greggorio » 31 Oct 2010, 18:34

Unless you want large animals then an acre or so will cater for all your possible poultry needs. Otherwise you will spend all your time dealing with your land. You can't just let it grow the local mayors have been known to get a farmer to cut it and send the owner a massive bill.

The language you'll pick up a million times faster here then you would in any amount of lessons. Depends if you wanna say it properly or just make them understand you.

also in reply to NannyP... Lily husband is retiring does not mean she is retired. Also others may look and I'd rather sound pessimistic and anti moving here then sound positive and someone do it and come up against all this when they're here and have lost loads. I feel with any big decision you have to want it so badly that all the negatives are worth it, if they're not then you will probably regret it

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 31 Oct 2010, 18:55

Oh and...just a quick note to say....when you live in France, your memory starts to fail and things you said in March, you begin to repeat in October :lol: :lol: See page I for details.

Life has moved on considerably since my 1st post on this thread...I'd forgotten my rather full reply in March.

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 01 Nov 2010, 08:21

there's plenty of internet forums dealing specifically with French emigration, how things are over there .... just google (can I say "complete france"?) and you will find lots of answers there. Not that you haven't found useful stuff here, but I don't know how many of us on the poultry keeper forum are reading the Franglais bit, so you might want to ask over there as well.
It's fairly easy to move out here because the economics of buying a house and land are in your favour, much cheaper. But it is difficult to move back to the UK as house prices don't rise so much, stuff can be for sale for years and years before selling and - once you've had a large house with few neighbours, great views, plenty of sunshine, etc. ..... well then it is extremely difficult when economics might force you back to the UK where all you get for the same money is perhaps a terrace or semi and you're all living on top of each other. BUT you do have protection in the UK - you're eligible for all sorts of benefits that you might not be in France, income support and all that. Free medical care and that means a lot, particularly when you are getting older and the probability of hospital and medical care is higher.
And there is also more to DO in the UK. Whilst I don't miss it now, when I watch English TV and see Harvester pub adverts, or shopping centres with real shops selling nice clothes (oh if you're female with more than size 41 feet forget it, you can't easily get size 42+/size 8 shoes here - truly, they think you're a freak!). Well the thought of just spending a day wandering around a shopping centre, browsing is heaven/. Here there's little to do, even our biggest town, Agen, doesn't compare against a similar town in the UK (say Sutton in Surrey). Lots of culture, yes, but shops ... not as much.
Still you're doing the right thing in asking questions before you come. But remember to have some kind of contingency in case you need to go back ever ...
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..