Living in France.

An area for those members in France to discuss things that are specific to France. Normal discussion should be in the main forum areas.

Moderator: Moderators

Greggorio

Re: Living in France.

Post by Greggorio » 24 Mar 2010, 10:36

Anglo info is the most popular forum in France and they have regional options like Normandy or Brittany etc etc. There is also total france which is all of france with underused sections for the different departments over here. Both can be useful but I'd advise not to get sucked into it. People who use the forums in France for the most part are complete and utter w***ers. They will give you wrong advice saying its fact. They will slate anything you say. The worst thing about France is the English. We have loads of great friends over here but for every good friend we also know an English person who wants you to fail and is snide and horrible. Unfortunately you get pushed into situations where you will meet English people and think you have something in common because you're English. Just be wary. The French can be just as crap but I still find them to have a higher proportion of friendly helpful people.

This isn't to put you off it's just a word of caution for when you do come over here, be wary of the English and NEVER use an English builder. Some are ok but finding that 1% is next to impossible

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 24 Mar 2010, 10:47

Dusty wrote:Interesting thread.................especially about health care.

What is the price of prescriptions..................I have to have thyroxine and ventolin inhalers on a monthly basis :evil:

Dusty - do you know most people on Thyroxine in England are exempt from all prescription charges? Ask your pharmacist, they should have a form for you to complete and send off. :)

(Not much help if you're thinking of going to France, I know! :) )

:)

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 24 Mar 2010, 10:59

three things to make sure of.....1 that you both speak a least a little french............2 you both drive france can be very rural ..........3 get good complientary assurance as soon as you live here............having those 3 will set you up to enjoy your dream..........other things......dont buy lots of land just cause its cheap as you get older its harder to lok after(and its a legal requirement in the country areas).....go out of you way to mix with the local french it will repay you 1oo times over in the years ahead.........use an english speaking notaire(land agent/solicitor) or insist on legal translations(a bit more expensive but solves all sorts of problems in the future)...........get your car changed or reregistered as soon as possible UK plates stick out like a sore thumb..................register with you nearest doctor straight away................visit the local maire and make yourself known..........try to eat as the french do ie fruit and veg in season it is a lot cheaper than eatingUK style......bring a quantity of new underwear(french aint the same as M and S)...but most of all be prepared to adapt your lifestyle then you will live your dream and enjoy every minute.........we did and we do
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

Debbie
Chick
Chick

Post by Debbie » 24 Mar 2010, 23:44

For what its worth, here's my penny worth;
I was lucky enough to come here with a profession that is in demand ( nurse) so I had no problems getting a job which has improved my French no end.
My kids go to French schools and the other day, as we were looking around the new lyceé for my son, one of the teachers told me they speak French with no English accent; we have been here 2 1/2 years, so it is possible to learn the language with a bit of effort.
I pay a lot for top up insurance for the family (200 euros a month) but with that and my mutuelle, most things are fully covered; ie dental care, glasses and operations etc;
It can be VERY hard in the winter, and the recent storm here was terrifiying as I am here on my own with the kids; I was lucky enough to have some friends help me replace some roof tiles the next day as I couldnt have done it myself, so a social support network is really important to establish.
The way of life is totally different; you spend less and make do and mend a lot more. You learn to throw nothing away as it can be reused somehow;
I have found most of the french, and the english, here lovely and have been lucky to make some really good friends, french and english.
The child allowance is better and there is a lot more support for working mothers, ie you can reclaim a lot of your childcare costs on your tax return.
The food is mostly seasonal and it is more usual to grow your own. Meat, I buy from local farmers, or, as a treat, from the local butcher, but it can be expensive, so we eat less, but enjoy it more;
Things take a bit longer as you get better results if you see people face to face, ie; electricity, water, tresorie, health benefits, forget doing it by phone or letter!!

Anything else?

arthursmith

Post by arthursmith » 25 Mar 2010, 18:38

Greggorio wrote:... and NEVER use an English builder. Some are ok but finding that 1% is next to impossible

thanks for that

arthur

Greggorio

Post by Greggorio » 25 Mar 2010, 19:07

Are you an English builder per chance?

I know of more horror stories of English builders than of French. I also know more horror stories of ones that had been recommended or were friends with the client than I know of ones that weren't.

I know one or two good builders out here who are honest and fair. I know far more who aren't (I should know I've worked for some of the ones who weren't and seen firsthand).

French builders get a slating because they take ages to start work but if you get a devis that states everything you want doing to the minutest detail then you won't get screwed over. On the flip side I know of a builder over here who took loads of deposits for work of which some he finished badly and didn't conform to French building standards and others he didn't finish atall and then he went back to the UK. They can't find him or do anything about it as the insurance companies won't pay out. French builders have nowhere to run to

iannewt

Post by iannewt » 29 Mar 2010, 20:13

Greggorio wrote:Anglo info is the most popular forum in France and they have regional options like Normandy or Brittany etc etc. There is also total france which is all of france with underused sections for the different departments over here. Both can be useful but I'd advise not to get sucked into it. People who use the forums in France for the most part are complete and utter w***ers. They will give you wrong advice saying its fact. They will slate anything you say. The worst thing about France is the English. We have loads of great friends over here but for every good friend we also know an English person who wants you to fail and is snide and horrible. Unfortunately you get pushed into situations where you will meet English people and think you have something in common because you're English. Just be wary. The French can be just as crap but I still find them to have a higher proportion of friendly helpful people.

This isn't to put you off it's just a word of caution for when you do come over here, be wary of the English and NEVER use an English builder. Some are ok but finding that 1% is next to impossible

Are you a pessimist per chance? Thats one hell of a philosophy =D> =D> =D>

Greggorio

Post by Greggorio » 29 Mar 2010, 22:14

Philosophy? Care to inform me which parts of what I said were incorrect?

I'm on 4 anglo info forums and I've noticed the same thing on all of them. It's nicknamed Agro info here.

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 29 Mar 2010, 22:52

So young yet so synical. Were you a racehorse in a previous life ? with them blinkers you must have been. :-k

iannewt

Post by iannewt » 30 Mar 2010, 07:29

Gregorio, you stated on a post above.
"People who use the forums in France for the most part are complete and utter w***ers"
It must be true then if you got it from a forum.

Nobody said any part of you post was correct or incorrect.

Google Philosophy.

Greggorio

Post by Greggorio » 30 Mar 2010, 09:41

What? I didn't get that info from a forum. I experienced it from the forums myself and is the experience of others i know

ps Tweedle Dee you don't live in France :P

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 30 Mar 2010, 10:00

everyone has differant expectations for living in france.............the young find it hard to get well paid work ....the long term retired find their pensions have shrunk with the bad exchange rate.....most expats come not really speaking the language and move to the rural countryside where habits are a bit behind the rat race they know.......do please remember the french are a differant race culturely and by heck it shows.....................remember the fuss about too many immagents into UK and understand the french folks attitude sometimes.....................having said all that.......France has the best NHS in europe ..........some of the best wine and food ...............wonderfull scenery.......... and a way of life you must adopt to enjoy..........so come with an open mind and enjoy your new life........p.s. i wont be going back to UK to live
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

Lily
Hen
Hen

Post by Lily » 30 Mar 2010, 10:30

Fabulous replies thank you all, keep them coming.

What about TV, can you get sky?

Anyone rented before they bought? or for that matter do they still rent?
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."

Greggorio

Post by Greggorio » 30 Mar 2010, 10:32

we know people who rent. It can be a good option as the fees inherent with buying are quite large so you try not to move house too many times if you can help it whereas renting is relatively cheap

Yes you can get sky

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 30 Mar 2010, 11:27

Thats right gregg i live in England and i converse in english. Do you speak fluent french? as a guest in someones elses country.