Oeufs à couver (Hatching eggs for sale/wanted)

An area for those members in France to discuss things that are specific to France. Normal discussion should be in the main forum areas.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Oeufs à couver (Hatching eggs for sale/wanted)

Postby Lisleoise » 27 Jan 2010, 07:27

Does anyone have any Welsummer hatching eggs for sale? I rather like the look of this breed but....

I have Light Sussex hens and successfully hatched eggs last year of which I sold all the cocks including my original LS coq. Ideally I would like to hatch a coloured breed this year predominantly for egg laying but of which, if I kept a resulting coq chick, would then go on to breed with the sussex and produce auto-sexing chicks. Apart from the obvious RIR, does anyone recommend a particular breed?
Lisleoise

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Francophowl » 27 Jan 2010, 08:45

Hi Susie, Sussex X Maran will produce auto sexing chicks but I think I'm right in saying that in order to get auto sexed chicks you need to cross the other way round, i.e. Light Sussex cock on Maran hens. If you want a cock just to produce you good egg laying hens I have a couple of Copper Black Maran cocks for sale and I'm not far from you. I'm at St. Remy sur Lidoire. I also have a spare Speckled Sussex cock and a young couple of the same.
Regards Peter
Lisleoise wrote:Does anyone have any Welsummer hatching eggs for sale? I rather like the look of this breed but....

I have Light Sussex hens and successfully hatched eggs last year of which I sold all the cocks including my original LS coq. Ideally I would like to hatch a coloured breed this year predominantly for egg laying but of which, if I kept a resulting coq chick, would then go on to breed with the sussex and produce auto-sexing chicks. Apart from the obvious RIR, does anyone recommend a particular breed?
Francophowl

Postby lizshereen » 27 Jan 2010, 12:35

Francophowl wrote:You can get the hens sometimes at the markets but the cocks are very hard to find. When buying the hens make sure you don't buy any with a gypsy face as they're crossed with one of the other French breeds and you end up with chicks of all colours from off white through grey to black! If you can find the hens with a red blush to the throat and breast even better. If you don't find a cock I have one here.
Peter
lizshereen wrote:Sounds lovely I want them for eggs and pets not for eating! Can you get them at the local markets? Les herolles in north Haute Vienne has a big poultry section I wonder if they will have them, I'll take alook in March when I go as I'm not getting any till the winters over as Ive lost 5 lovely girls to the cold and don't want to risk bringing new into the flock yet! thankyou

Sorry but whats a gypsy face?
lizshereen

Postby Lisleoise » 27 Jan 2010, 13:03

Francophowl wrote:Hi Susie, Sussex X Maran will produce auto sexing chicks but I think I'm right in saying that in order to get auto sexed chicks you need to cross the other way round, i.e. Light Sussex cock on Maran hens.

I thought it was the other way around. I have read on many sources that with the RIRs it is the RIR coq x LS hens to create the auto-sexing chicks. I assumed that it would be the same way round with other breeds too, although you seem to be the expert so I will bow to your knowledge.

I have had copper black Marans hens before, so I may consider your offer.
Lisleoise

Postby Francophowl » 27 Jan 2010, 13:48

You are welcome to come and see what we have anytime.
Peter
Lisleoise wrote:
Francophowl wrote:Hi Susie, Sussex X Maran will produce auto sexing chicks but I think I'm right in saying that in order to get auto sexed chicks you need to cross the other way round, i.e. Light Sussex cock on Maran hens.

I thought it was the other way around. I have read on many sources that with the RIRs it is the RIR coq x LS hens to create the auto-sexing chicks. I assumed that it would be the same way round with other breeds too, although you seem to be the expert so I will bow to your knowledge.

I have had copper black Marans hens before, so I may consider your offer.
Francophowl

Postby Francophowl » 27 Jan 2010, 13:55

Gypsy faced is when the wattles and comb are dark purple not bright red. Sumatras and some game breeds have it and I suppose you could say Silkies too. They also tend to have a black eye.
Peter
lizshereen wrote:
Francophowl wrote:You can get the hens sometimes at the markets but the cocks are very hard to find. When buying the hens make sure you don't buy any with a gypsy face as they're crossed with one of the other French breeds and you end up with chicks of all colours from off white through grey to black! If you can find the hens with a red blush to the throat and breast even better. If you don't find a cock I have one here.
Peter
lizshereen wrote:Sounds lovely I want them for eggs and pets not for eating! Can you get them at the local markets? Les herolles in north Haute Vienne has a big poultry section I wonder if they will have them, I'll take alook in March when I go as I'm not getting any till the winters over as Ive lost 5 lovely girls to the cold and don't want to risk bringing new into the flock yet! thankyou

Sorry but whats a gypsy face?
Francophowl

Postby mojo » 29 Jan 2010, 21:31

anyone got any Dorking eggs they will sell via the post??
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend
mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Liked in: 25 posts

Postby mojo » 06 Feb 2010, 14:07

bumped to remind anyone???please
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend
mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Liked in: 25 posts

Postby Spezet » 11 Feb 2010, 07:05

Hi mojo, i will be selling silver/gray dorking chicks from the end of march 2010. no eggs sorry.
parent birds are from top uk breeder based here in normady france, 100% pure breed, top notch and show quaility and all young will be supplies with rings 2010 (french reg) and a (certificats de cession), if thats any good for you please feel free to contact me.
thanks and good luck.
Mark aka spezet
06 37 96 36 89
kergotupoultry@gmail.com
Spezet

Postby Francophowl » 16 Feb 2010, 11:06

Hi Everyone
I now have Speckled Sussex, Croad Langshan and Buff Colombian Brahma eggs for sale. I will also have a few Indian Game eggs next week. The other breeds are slowly coming into lay but they don't think much of this cold weather!
Peter
mojo wrote:bumped to remind anyone???please
Francophowl

Postby Jeanette » 15 Apr 2010, 18:33

Hi i live in Guernsey i have welsummer cockerel and 3 unrelated welsummer hens. If you are still after some hatching eggs i am happy to send to you £1 an egg and p & p would be £8.50.
Jeanette
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Lisleoise » 15 Apr 2010, 18:44

Thank you Jeanette, but as you can see from my signature I have since acquired a Welsummer coq and now have some Welsummer x Sussex eggs in the incubator.
Lisleoise

Postby Jeanette » 16 Apr 2010, 08:22

OK, hope your hatch goes well, still awaiting my eggs for the incubator. The Farm i am getting them from are 3 weeks behind in there orders! trying some RIR and light sussex. Must let me know how the crossing goes.
Jeanette
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Lisleoise » 16 Apr 2010, 09:44

Will do. I'm looking forward to seeing the results too. Must go turn the eggs.....
Lisleoise

Postby arcenciel » 07 May 2011, 18:38

Hi Francophowl,
Do you still have some Croad Langshan fertile eggs available ? :grin:
arcenciel

PreviousNext

Return to Franglais