Anyone raised quail?

A section for all other animals kept as pets.

Moderator: Moderators

Anyone raised quail?

Postby Mayhen » 05 May 2014, 18:52

Hi I have ordered some fertile Japanese quail eggs and I am going to hatch them under my broody bantam hen. What I'm wondering, is what should the humidity be? It's always about 60 to 80% humidity here anyway, is there any need for it to be more humid, and if so how do I do that? Also, I have found non-GM turkey starter crumbs with 30% protein, should I give them this rather than normal chick crumbs or should I give them a slightly lower-in-protein food, like 22%? I know I should know this but there are so many different opinions!! They will be going into an outdoor aviary at about 4 weeks at which point I'm going to feed them game-bird pellets (and added greens etc.)

Thanks,
Mayhen
3 mice, 1 rescue dog, 1 rescue quaker parrot, 6 chickens: Daffy (mix breed), Teazel (Welsummer), Ginger Rogers (Gingernut Ranger), Pudding (Black Rock), Pepper (Barred Wyandotte bantam) and Nutmeg (Buff-laced Wyandotte bantam)

"The world is as delicate as a spider's web; touch one thread and you send shivers running through all the other threads. We're not just touching the web; we're tearing great holes in it." Gerald Durrell
Mayhen
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 5 posts

Re: Anyone raised quail?

Postby subruss » 05 May 2014, 20:29

you don't need to bother about humidity if hatching under a broody hen, personally I would not use a broody bantam the chicks are really tiny and the chances of broken eggs and lost and killed chick is great. Chick crumb is perfect for them and when adult any fairly small chicken food with greens will be good enough :) . Turkey food is at the wrong end of the scale for them remember a turkey reaches 20 to 30lb your quail a few ounce

Mayhen likes this post.
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby Mayhen » 05 May 2014, 20:37

Ok thank you, I just read that you could use turkey food because it was high in protein, but obviously I asked because i wasn't sure:) I'll use normal (non medicated?) chick crumbs. I have seen quail being raised under bantams with success. If I do think she is not being careful enough I can always remove the chicks to a brooder?
3 mice, 1 rescue dog, 1 rescue quaker parrot, 6 chickens: Daffy (mix breed), Teazel (Welsummer), Ginger Rogers (Gingernut Ranger), Pudding (Black Rock), Pepper (Barred Wyandotte bantam) and Nutmeg (Buff-laced Wyandotte bantam)

"The world is as delicate as a spider's web; touch one thread and you send shivers running through all the other threads. We're not just touching the web; we're tearing great holes in it." Gerald Durrell
Mayhen
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby Srunicorn69 » 07 Jul 2014, 21:54

Hi we had Chinese painted quails and they reared their own young. I have them chick crumb right up until they were old enough to go onto layers. As above you don't really need to worry about humidity if the eggs are put under a broody hen.
Sue
Srunicorn69
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby rubyredshoes » 10 Jul 2014, 20:34

I would be wary of quail chicks being raised by a bantam. Every time I tried it it the bantam killed the chicks as they hatched. I use an incubator and dry hatch and then an electric hen once they have hatched. When they are very small I use chick crumb that I have ground up in a pestle and mortar, as they grow i keep them on chick crumb and then move them onto quail pellets. Remember they need marbles in the water otherwise they drown. Oh, and they are far more active than chicks! Good luck and enjoy them.
Sussex Bantams (Speckled, Red, Silver and Light), 2 Silkies, 2 Goldtops, 1 not-ebay-egg-that-isn't-what-I-bought and a Mulberry Blue.
rubyredshoes
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Return to Pets and other animals