Thinking of a new addition to the mad house

A section for all other animals kept as pets.

Moderator: Moderators

Thinking of a new addition to the mad house

Postby drfish » 23 Jan 2014, 14:51

After much debate (2 years or so now) I've finally decided what's going into the top vivarium of my double vivarium cabinet. Toyed with various reptiles, arachnids, snakes (although the missus put the kybosh on that one, no legs, no pet). Finally decided on...a tortoise. Anyone got any experience of indoor (sub-tropical) tortoises. I know a few folk that have the good old faithful Herman tortoises, which are more adapted to outdoor life, but not got a great deal of knowledge on indoor ones, other than what I've read up.

I intend to get a baby Horsefield tortoise, which pretty much works out about the right size for the vivarium. I think it'll be a nice pet to have as they live for around 60 years (so most likely outlive me unless I'm aiming for a telegram from the Queen/King) so it can be passed down to the brats.

Care is pretty much the same as my bearded dragon, low humidity, high heat, UVB basking light, heat spot and soil to dig in, with plenty of fresh weeds, flowers and greens. I'll get a tortoise table too when it's a bit bigger, but for now, a Viv and an outdoor cold frame for the summer should be fine. Already got everything I need though so I may well be going to look at some at the weekend.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

crazypianolady likes this post.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Thinking of a new addition to the mad house

Postby crazypianolady » 23 Jan 2014, 15:25

drfish wrote: snakes (although the missus put the kybosh on that one, no legs, no pet).

Couldn't agree more! Why would anyone want a snake indoors? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Baby tortoise, I can anderstand that! :lol:

Will he/she be lonely as a singleton? ;) :grin:

drfish likes this post.
crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 142 posts

Postby drfish » 23 Jan 2014, 15:40

Apparently they do OK on their own. And I do have a friend who has one as well (which I found out shortly after this post), and her's is about 12 years old now and has been on his own all the time. I could get 2 females, but males don't do well together and it's very difficult to sex them until they start to mature (8 years apparently).
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby nickyc » 24 Jan 2014, 08:20

My brother and I had tortoises when we were kids; mine was called Speedy Gonzales and sadly (and rather horribly) the rats got him when he was hibernating in the outhouse one year :-( My brother's was called Granddad, was about 900 years old and decided to bury himself in the garden one day and we never saw him again!! Bizarre creatures, but really great fun to have around!

drfish likes this post.
nickyc
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby Moriarty » 24 Jan 2014, 09:56

Tortoises! Love 'em. We had tortoises when we were younger, mine was called Slowcoach (he was the fastest), my brother's was Sammy and my sister's was Jet (he was the slowest). We used to have tortoise races around the garden, trailing a tomato in front of them to encourage them to follow. They laid eggs as well but the babies never hatched. Thirty years later two of the original tortoises were still going strong and I gave them to a tortoise sanctuary in Kingston Upon Thames where the lady had hundreds of them! Ah, happy days.
Sorry I can't add any useful information to your enquiry, Dr. Fish, but you've got me reminiscing about my first pets ... tortoises are so cool !!!!!
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

drfish likes this post.
Moriarty

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby drfish » 24 Jan 2014, 10:06

I've always had a bit of a penchant for them, ever since being about 5 or 6 when my mates grandad used to keep about half a dozen Herman's. I think my mate still has a couple of them, and they must be well over 50 years old now. But we used to race them too, similar style, but coaxing them with a lettuce leaf. Surprising how fast they are when they're hungry :grin:

Going to have a look at a few at L&D Exotics in Mansfield tomorrow. May well be coming back with one, knowing me :mrgreen: They're only babies though, so shouldn't be hibernating.

And my bearded dragon is just starting to come out of brumation too, so it'll work out nice as they both eat similar salad stuff and vegetables. Don't think the tortoise will be very interested in cockroaches though :lol:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby jillychick » 24 Jan 2014, 11:45

I bet you come back with 2 :grin: far more interesting to have a couple. I would love some I went on about it last year but o/h said NOOOOOO nothing else, quote ... the gardens like a farm yard and the house would be like a zoo left to you! That's because I wanted a parrot as well :lol: I'm really jealous :bounce:
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby drfish » 24 Jan 2014, 12:15

Can't come back with two, missus would shoot me. Fat end of £200 for 2 of them. I can cope with £95 for one.

I've actually calmed down a lot since we had kids :mrgreen:

At one point, this was the animals list:

5 fish tanks, totalling just over 500 gallons (hence the user name).
* 1 Specimen tank - 6' x 3' x 2.5' - Housing (not all at the same time) Red tailed catfish, African lungfish, Clown knifefish, Polypterus senegalus, Butterkoferi, Pengasius Catfish, , Pacu's, Alligator Gar (which proceeded to eat everything else)
* 1 'pretty' communal tank - 5' x 2' x 2.5' - Housing around 150 varied small pretty fish
* 1 4' x 2' x 2' - Oscar tank - Also contained 2 large Sailfin Plecos (sucker fish to give them their laymans name)
* 1 3' x 2' x 1' - Odduns' - Miniature puffer fish, elephant fish, crabs, brine shrimp
* 1 4' x 2' x 2' - Feeder tank. Containing live bearers to act as food for the above.

Leopard gecko harem - 3 females, 1 male
Fischers Cameleon
Argentine Black & White Tegu
Savvanah Bosc monitor lizard
3 staffies
2 cats
Outdoor pond that I randomly made from an old divan bed one afternoon while the missus was at work 8) . Various Koi, Goldfish, Roach, Rudd, Bullheads, Tench

Also applied to have a Dangerous Wild Animals License so I could have a dwarf Caimen, but then we moved to run a pub, and unsurprisingly, the council weren't keen on me keeping what is effectively a small alligator in a pub. :roll: :P

I've kind of substituted the fish for poultry, and calmed down on the lizards, but I do like to have plenty of animals around me. Keeps me sane. Or at least I'd like to think it does, whereas in reality, it probably enhances my insanity. :mrgreen:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

ladyplumber likes this post.
drfish

Postby jillychick » 24 Jan 2014, 12:49

You sound as bad as me I'm deffenetley insane where animals are concerned. I want a farm or small holding, I want pigs, goats, geese, a couple of sheep and an ostritch! O/h is getting concerned for my sanity but hey you only live once so got to make do with the hens for now ...... then just maybe.....
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby drfish » 24 Jan 2014, 13:08

I dread to think how I'd be if I had a small holding or some considerable land. As long as horses aren't involved, I'd be happy. Horses are awful animals :mrgreen:

I did want to setup an outdoor Tegu enclosure, but the heating costs would have been too much to deal with, as they are a tropical species, but can tolerate low temperatures for short periods of time.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby Moriarty » 24 Jan 2014, 19:02

re. exotic animals, about 5 miles away is a chap who is a registered lion tamer who keeps the animals in his garden - in large cages, naturally. There are big warning signs - sadly, nothing that says "Trespassers Will Be Eaten" ! My friend lives nearby and you can often hear the lions roaring ... very disconcerting. Now THAT'S exotic!
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..
Moriarty

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby jillychick » 24 Jan 2014, 21:20

Now that's what you call a security system :shock:
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby drfish » 27 Jan 2014, 11:02

Moriarty wrote:re. exotic animals, about 5 miles away is a chap who is a registered lion tamer who keeps the animals in his garden - in large cages, naturally. There are big warning signs - sadly, nothing that says "Trespassers Will Be Eaten" ! My friend lives nearby and you can often hear the lions roaring ... very disconcerting. Now THAT'S exotic!

Had I the room and it was legal, I'd probably be the same. Although it would Bengal tigers rather than lions.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby jillychick » 27 Jan 2014, 11:13

Dr fish did you get your tortoise?
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby drfish » 27 Jan 2014, 11:16

Unfortunately not. I was busy all day Saturday so didn't get chance to go out, and yesterday was written off due to a non-too-pleased 5 week old baby, and the horrible weather.

Probably be next weekend now. You'll know, I'll put the piccys up :mrgreen:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Next

Return to Pets and other animals