Thinking of a new addition to the mad house

A section for all other animals kept as pets.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Thinking of a new addition to the mad house

Postby jillychick » 27 Jan 2014, 11:29

Oh nooooo I'll want one :roll:
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby drfish » 27 Jan 2014, 11:45

You can always tell the OH it was my fault ;)
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby jillychick » 27 Jan 2014, 13:57

He knows me to well to fall for that one :roll: changing the subject have you ever seen a chicken swim? One of mine just tried to fly across one of our ponds and plop in it went. not funny really.......but it was so funny I couldn't stop laughing it managed to swim/ flap it's way out while I was frantically trying to find where o/h has stored the net for the winter. They have never done that before :lol:
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby drfish » 27 Jan 2014, 14:03

Probably never will again :lol:

They aren't renowned for their swimming skills. When I housed mine in with the ducks, one of the chickens fell into the 'pond' (it's actually an 8" deep greenhouse tray). Seriously, you'd have thought it had fell off the end of a pier into the sea with the flapping and squawking it was doing. It managed to eventually get out and looked very sorry for itself. You could almost hear the ducks laughing at it. :mrgreen:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Re: Thinking of a new addition to the mad house **Did it**

Postby drfish » 03 Mar 2014, 16:40

And here is...Freddie

Although it's unknown as yet whether it will be Freddie or Fredina, as it's too early to tell. Will get some better pics up once he's settled in and comfortable.

2014-03-02 10.23.59.jpg

P.s. there was an ulterior motive. Bonus from work, buy Mrs a tortoise, buy me a new lens for my camera :mrgreen: Although she doesn't know that yet. But seeing as she's getting wooden flooring for the living room too, she can bugger off if she complains :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

2 people like this post.
drfish

Postby jillychick » 03 Mar 2014, 17:44

Ohhhhhh arrrrrrrrr it's lovley bet you can't wait to find out what it is. If it was me I'd have a pair and let them have lots of babies. ;) You see why hubby won't let me have one! they are so cute :grin:
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby drfish » 03 Mar 2014, 17:58

It did cross my mind, but they do better as a harem setup than a pair, and I can't justify 3 or 4 lots of £100 a tortoise. Otherwise I'd have had to keep them separate as a pair, or provide a huge outdoor enclosure to stop him literally sexing her to death.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby jillychick » 03 Mar 2014, 19:24

Wow £100 each how many eggs do they lay? Could be a nice little investment for the next 20 years tortoise hatching :grin:

ladyplumber likes this post.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby drfish » 04 Mar 2014, 10:20

It's a fairly expensive business the old tortoise breeding. Might be something for a later stage in life (it won't be mature for another 8 years), but I've got more than enough on at the moment :lol:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Previous

Return to Pets and other animals