Nosy q...what pets do you have...????

A section for all other animals kept as pets.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Nosy q...what pets do you have...????

Postby frank the troll » 08 Jun 2012, 09:20

10 chickens
2 guinea fowl
3 goats
1 Ram
2 orphan lambs
2 cats

To come very soon
2 wolfies
2 ewes for Mr Rambo
3 weaners
frank the troll

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Kalynta » 10 Jun 2012, 22:26

3 Anglo Wulfdogs (wolf look a likes)
1GSD
1 Alaskan Malamute
2 Ragdoll cats
1 tortieshell moggie (16 years old)
6 hy-line hybrids
1 lacy hen
6 bantam chicks
3 Salmon Faverolles (just got from poultry auction for my birthday :grin: )
1 Eversuffering husband :mrgreen:

just love my lot!!
Kalynta

Postby Peloquin » 03 Aug 2012, 16:17

About 200 tarantulas,
couple of thousand cockroaches-5 species
27 scorpions- 4 or 5 species
2 goldfish (the kids won them)
6 chooks
1 rabbit (the wifes- dunno make/ model)
Few mantids.
Peloquin

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 04 Aug 2012, 05:49

Welcome to the forum Peloquin, remind me not to visit you - the chooks, rabbit and goldfish I can cope with (even the cockroaches at a push) but Tarantulas - NEVER (shudder) :lol:
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby Peloquin » 04 Aug 2012, 10:01

Cheers for the welcome.
You'd be fine. The spiders are in tanks...well, apart from the escapees of course. Wife and kids usually find them wandering around.
Peloquin

Postby CP » 04 Aug 2012, 10:14

:shock: Image :shock:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby drfish » 06 Aug 2012, 16:36

Peloquin wrote:About 200 tarantulas,
6 chooks
Few mantids.

Presumably, you breed the roaches then? How easy are they to breed? What kind of throughput do you have from them? I'm considering breeding either roaches or crickets for my lizards, but just not found anyone who does it yet. Seems straight forward enough though.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby ChickenGirl101 » 07 Aug 2012, 14:37

an alsation, a mad collie, a cat two horses and seven chickens (pure bantam wyandottes, only the best, of course!!!! :meoww )
ChickenGirl101

Postby Ruralhome68 » 12 Aug 2012, 21:54

We have....

6 dogs - 2 x Hungarian Wire Vizslas, 1 Bedlington x Whippet, 1 Border Terrier, 1 PRT and 1 JRTx
10 hens - 2 x Marans, 1 x Cream Legbar x Light Sussex, 1 x Australorp x Black Rock & 6 Lohman Browns
3 guinea pigs - 2 x Rex and 1 belted Galloway
1 Tortoise - a Horsfield
Too many fish to mention
1 Highland mare
:love9:
Last edited by Ruralhome68 on 17 Aug 2012, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
Ruralhome68

Postby Ilex Kent » 13 Aug 2012, 06:56

Why the broken heart symbol ? RH68
Ilex Kent

Postby Ruralhome68 » 13 Aug 2012, 09:47

Ilex Kent wrote:Why the broken heart symbol ? RH68

:oops:

I thought it was a love heart - didn't realise it broke :lol:
Ruralhome68

Postby Ilex Kent » 13 Aug 2012, 17:23

:grin: Well ,that is very good news ....phew :thumbright:
Ilex Kent

Postby Peloquin » 14 Aug 2012, 17:03

drfish wrote:
6 chooks
Few mantids.

Presumably, you breed the roaches then? How easy are they to breed? What kind of throughput do you have from them? I'm considering breeding either roaches or crickets for my lizards, but just not found anyone who does it yet. Seems straight forward enough though.

Yeah, I breed all 5 makes of them...3 different Hissers, Cuban Burrowing, Turkistan and just added Lobster.
They are VERY easy to breed,depending on the make/ model you are thinking about.
My advice is dont bother with crix. They stink, are hard to breed and the micros drop dead easily.
The lobster roach breed like mad but climb glass/plastic and are escape artists.
The Turks are almost as quick to breed, high output from them, run around a lot so grab interest from animals, cant climb or fly although the males do sort of jump and flutter downwards.
Cuban Burrowing are large, non climbers/fliers, great meat/shell ratio and easy to breed.
The only problem with them is they hit the substrate and vanish.

What lizards, sizes and how many?
Peloquin

Postby drfish » 15 Aug 2012, 09:55

Peloquin wrote:
drfish wrote:
6 chooks
Few mantids.

Yeah, I breed all 5 makes of them...3 different Hissers, Cuban Burrowing, Turkistan and just added Lobster.
They are VERY easy to breed,depending on the make/ model you are thinking about.
My advice is dont bother with crix. They stink, are hard to breed and the micros drop dead easily.
The lobster roach breed like mad but climb glass/plastic and are escape artists.
The Turks are almost as quick to breed, high output from them, run around a lot so grab interest from animals, cant climb or fly although the males do sort of jump and flutter downwards.
Cuban Burrowing are large, non climbers/fliers, great meat/shell ratio and easy to breed.
The only problem with them is they hit the substrate and vanish.

What lizards, sizes and how many?

I've currently got a bearded dragon, who gets through around a dozen large crix a day. He's about 8 months old, about 12" tip to tail, so still growing and eating a lot of live prey. I have a double viv though, and will be putting a quartet of either Rankins dragons or Texas collards in when I get back from holiday (they both hit about 6-8" max). They will get through around half a dozen or so medium sized crix a day. I currently have a 18" x 12" x 12" plastic vivarium which I'm trying to breed the crix in, but as you say, they stink, and don't seem to be breeding very quickly at all. I've seen a couple of micro crix in the box, so they must of either been eggs when I bought them, or they have actually bred, but I'm still having to top up the tank with another £5 worth of crix a week at the moment, to try and kick start it. A lot of people seem to favour roaches, so I might give them a try instead. Do they need any special heat/moisture/ventilation requirements. The viv I have for them is a meshed lid, so has a fairly good air flow, but the tank currently just sits on the top of the fridge freezer in my kitchen, so a steady 18-22c and medium humidity.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Peloquin » 15 Aug 2012, 17:23

Do you have substrate in the vivs? If not then def go for cuban burrowing, if you do then I would say turks. They are pretty small though so you'll need to get a good colony going.
Scrap the crix and breed the roaches.
I'd invest in a heat mat, stick it under one end of the placcy viv (raised off it of course) and lob in some egg crate (free..ask a nice butcher for some).
Feed them dry cat/ dog food, breakfast cerial (they LOVE cheerios and frosties- cheap makes of course), goldfish flakes etc...
Water gel is good if you put it in a dish and replace every couple of days.
If you dont want to use that then a slice of apple or something will do but remove/ replace daily.
Mine are kept with no lid as they dont climb or fly.

Hope this helps a bit.
Peloquin

PreviousNext

Return to Pets and other animals