Robins alert noise

A section for all other animals kept as pets.

Moderator: Moderators

Robins alert noise

Postby Isabelle H » 08 Aug 2017, 12:02

Last week in the evening when it was dark, i heard a tick tick sound and saw a small bird sitting on my husbands shed, i couldnt see what type of bird it was, but as i turned around i saw What i think was a fox patrolling around my hen coop.
And then a few days later i heard the tick tick sound again and this time saw a Robin sitting on my bird feeder and this time a large cat was looking in my hen coop.
I have since googled it and found out its a warning sound that Robins make when there is a predator in the area.
Did anyone else know of this.
Isabelle H

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Robins alert noise

Postby CP » 10 Aug 2017, 13:22

This is a well known warning noise. Lots of birds have similar warning calls.
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby kated » 11 Aug 2017, 16:31

Indeed CP and Isabelle, there was a wren in the hedge this morning telling me off in no uncertain manner for daring to to go near! Wrens have such loud voices!

CP likes this post.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby Isabelle H » 15 Aug 2017, 20:40

Thanks for that.
I had no idea about this, and found it fascinating
Isabelle H

Liked in: 0 post

Return to Pets and other animals