A waste of space?
100%
A saving grace!
No votes

Total votes: 3

Attila The Hen

Hopeless Lavender Araucanas

Post by Attila The Hen » 15 Jun 2007, 18:36

Have just had a disastrous hatch of Lavender Araucanas - the first time I've bothered with them, having preferred in the past to work with Black/red or Gold Duckwing. I've never liked the look of them, but knowing they're (inexplicably!) popular, I thought I'd add a few to the flock for hatching egg purposes.

So, got them along with some Silver-laced Wyandottes from the same breeder, a dozen of each. Posted together, and put into the incubator together. Results? 9 out of 12 S-l W's hatched, and are nice sturdy chicks. Only 1 LA made it out of the shell, a pathetically twisted and deformed little thing that had to be put away. The remaining 11 LA were 9 dead in shell, and 2 clears.

So, it's not infertility. Nor can it be rough handling in transit. Or the incubator. I suspect Lavenders are a weak and dreadfully inbred breed of Araucana. I know another person on here has had a similarly grim result in recent days... Anyone else? And is there really much merit perpetuating breeds of birds that are this un-hardy?

Shall stick with proven Black/reds in future!

Attila

CP

Post by CP » 15 Jun 2007, 19:09

Have I read of a lethal gene in Araucana breeding? :?
I know nothing about them so can't really comment! :roll:

Sorry you lost so many though. :cry:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Clucky

Post by Clucky » 15 Jun 2007, 21:17

I had 6 eggs and only one came through and he died at 9 weeks of age, a lavender araucana. The Winking Tiger did breed them and they did really well so it might not be a gene thing :) Not much help though :(

fairislefaerie

Post by fairislefaerie » 15 Jun 2007, 22:58

Like Attila I also did 12, bought from a recent rare breeds auction down Aberdeen ways.. of 12, 1 clear, 2 hatched, 1 died within 30 mins of hatching, the rest D.I.S.

Think the surviving one is a hen too, which isnt much use as I hatched them to add to the blue egg gene pool to improve cream legbars if i need to.

Angela

tuzo2k

Post by tuzo2k » 16 Jun 2007, 12:40

Please, Please do not add araucana into the Cream Legbars. I understand where you are coming from in doing this as of course they were in the cream crested's genetic makeup - but if you put this back into the ccl's at this stage it will take years and years to breed back out. There are plenty of breeders of the ccl around and I am sure you can get some fresh blood if you think it necessary. It is even more important if you think the Araucana's you have are not very fertile. Regards Richard.

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 16 Jun 2007, 16:36

Never bred the lavender jobs though have owned them. But this year got eight white Araucana eggs from ebay and all eight were fertile. (Seven hatched).
When I read of infertility problems in any breed my first thought is that the parents may be too closely inbred and a bit of fresh blood would work wonders.
With Richard on the crossing idea. If you want to improve egg colour then only hatch the best coloured eggs and breed for this characteristic.
How often does one read 'Trio for sale. Unrelated cockerel'. And how often do I think 'Oh yeah!'.

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 16 Jun 2007, 20:48

PS Attila
Are you Shetlanders going to the Fetlar Foy on Saturday. If so, see you there!
My first name is Murray.

jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by jaydee67 » 16 Jun 2007, 20:54

Murray - you'll be passing my house to get there! When are you going up?

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 16 Jun 2007, 21:04

Oi, that's a bit unfair Hen-Gen. If I advertise unrelated trio or whatever, then you can be darned certain that it is.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 17 Jun 2007, 01:12

Present company excepted, henwife! :D Lots of good folk on the forums but as you know there are some dodgy characters in the chicken world. Look at all those ebay experiences folk have (me included).
Coming off the ferry Saturday morning, Jaydee, but with six work mates so not really in visiting mode. Will knock your door in August though! (What sort of cake do you like with your coffee? :D )

jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by jaydee67 » 17 Jun 2007, 11:13

I'm into making muffins here so you may get a selection! Are you here for the Voe Show? 4th August I think.

Attila The Hen

Post by Attila The Hen » 17 Jun 2007, 15:53

Hen-Gen wrote:PS Attila
Are you Shetlanders going to the Fetlar Foy on Saturday. If so, see you there!
My first name is Murray.
Sorry, I'll not be there Murray. Am still pretty much house-bound after a big car crash. Now allowed to drive again, but only short drives to begin with. Fetlar's a long haul from here!

Cheers,

Attila