Help sexing Pekins please.

Moderator: Moderators

Help sexing Pekins please.

Postby Tottybouvier » 22 May 2016, 14:16

Hi, over Easter I hatched some Faverolles and I was given 3 bantam eggs. Am I correct in thinking these are Pekin bantams? They are now 8 weeks old and I wondered if anybody could determine their sex from the picture?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tottybouvier

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Help sexing Pekins please.

Postby CP » 23 May 2016, 19:04

Hmmm, I'm not very good at sexing the youngsters. The combs are quite small but they also look quite red! :roll:
Anyone else have an idea?
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby laffinfowl » 23 May 2016, 22:33

First look i,d say 3 pullets but i know little or nothing about pekins.
I used to use a piece of white card sometimes to help sex hard to sex birds,take them one by one and place the card under the neck feathers,just get 2 or 3 feathers on the card and see if the ends of the feathers are rounded or pointed.
Rounded ends = pullets. Pointed or sharp ends =cockerels, used to be a fair indicator as well as small combs,small wattles and fine rather than thick boned legs.
Might be of some help to you hopefully,failing that be patient and wait for eggs or crowing,good luck and let us know the outcome please.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby Tottybouvier » 24 May 2016, 09:57

Thank you very much, I will have a look at the feathers. I didn't know you could do that! I will let you know if I have any luck!
Tottybouvier

Liked in: 0 post

Return to Eggs and Growers