Candling help & advice:

Moderator: Moderators

Candling help & advice:

Postby brooksidepoultry » 26 May 2015, 20:01

Ok so I've candled all my hen, duck & goose eggs at 7 days, the hen eggs were the easiest to do, getting 93-95% with 2 questionable ones - I think the 1 shell was too thick & the other was very dark brown in colour.

The duck eggs & goose egg were harder though, I found 5 definite fertile duck eggs but the others looked to sort of have air sacs & shadows, & the goose egg was similar but had a definite air sac. Should I leave these a little longer? X
A country lass who loves it all x.
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Re: Candling help & advice:

Postby Henwife » 26 May 2015, 21:33

Short answer - yes. Off hand I can't remember tha incubation times for the water birds, but I do know it's longer than the chicken, so development will be slower too.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

crazypianolady likes this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Re: Candling help & advice:

Postby brooksidepoultry » 28 May 2015, 00:01

Fair enough, I just didn't want to leave eggs in rotting & giving them the potential to explode or ruin others. It's in 1 of the large brines a cabinet incubators & it's my 1st attempt doing several species at once, & I've got hen, quail, duck & goose eggs in & have just got to candle the quail eggs in a few days & some more duck ones I've placed in today in a week. But so far fertility seems reasonable, & we know all of our current stock make birds are fertile apart from my orpington cock as his girls haven't laid yet :?
A country lass who loves it all x.
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Return to Eggs and Growers