Humidity worries

Moderator: Moderators

Humidity worries

Postby morris » 04 Apr 2015, 09:48

Please can I have some advice on humidity in my Covina super 24 incubator. I have 15 serama eggs fertile and growing out of the 30 I bought on eBay and online. I have been running dry at 18% humidity for last 2 weeks.

The room the incy is in is 40% natural humidity and centrally heated. On candling yesterday the 15 eggs were full of chick but the air sac didn't look very big. I have added water to the first tray (it has 2) and the humidity is now 42%

Would 18% have been okay till lockdown which will be middle of next week, should I take the water out, I have never used this incy before and have had DIS with all previous hatches in the other incubator which was a still air.

Also if I add water to the second tray on lockdown would the humidity be over 80 % and cause issues as chicks might drown in their shells, as what happened last time I wet hatched in a still air incy. :(

The Covina is forced air holding temp at 37.5 and semi automatic
morris
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 4 posts

Re: Humidity worries

Postby morris » 04 Apr 2015, 10:27

Someone on another forum said the humidity is to low at 18% and the chicks will stick to the shell not be able to turn :(
I have been advised to up it to 65% and pray that some may hatch.....this I have done [-o<

Please please, advice needed
morris
Chick
Chick

Postby Fast Farmer » 04 Apr 2015, 11:10

I'm a big believer of dry incubation, lost far too many chicks to drowning in the early days by using the "recommended" settings. The word "dry" seems to vary from breeder to breeder, my best hatches have been at a setting of around 35% humidity through to lockdown and then no more than 50% for the hatch. I have hatched this week and like you the room humidity was around 40 to 45% during the first 18 days........when I really wanted 35%, from lockdown I set the humidity to 45% in an effort to counterbalance the higher humidity the eggs had already recieved. I dont know if this was scientifically the correct action but was happy with a hatch of 18 from 24 eggs through the postal system.......so was more than happy with the result.

Sorry I have not used your inci so cant advise however 18% seems a very low setting and personally 65% is far too high at the stage yours are at ......but!.....it might work in your favour from lockdown in a similar way to the counterbalance I tried with mine. Good luck with the hatch.
Last edited by Fast Farmer on 04 Apr 2015, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby ladyplumber » 04 Apr 2015, 11:15

It's not advised to attempt a "dry" hatch when the incubator is operating in a centrally heated space. A cool unheated space gives better results I find. If the natural humidity in this heated room is already 40%, switching the heating off would probably raise the humidity in the room to the optimum 50-55ish % for the hatch, without actually adding any water to the incubator.
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby morris » 04 Apr 2015, 11:43

Okay I thought 65% a bit to high, I have removed all water but its sitting on 50% and dropping, when it drops lower I will bring it back to 45% and hope that's enough to let the air sacs grow.

ladyplumber likes this post.
morris
Chick
Chick

Return to Eggs and Growers