Persistant soft eggs

Moderator: Moderators

Persistant soft eggs

Postby organic chick » 29 Dec 2014, 12:27

One of our Warrens aged 13 months laid normal eggs for ages, then moved on to producing what I can only describe as an elongated version with normal shell. For the last 3 weeks we are getting an elongated shape but no shell on it. They are all fed quality layers pellets, have free access to grit/shells and have water+oregano plus small amounts of organic green veg from the allotment now and again. There is no bullying so she has good access to all of this. She appears well, feeding and drinking, poo normal. Handles well without distress or any visible signs of problems. :scratch: Am I missing something here?
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Re: Persistant soft eggs

Postby jillychick » 29 Dec 2014, 14:12

If it helps any, a couple of mine went through this stage when the moult started. Exactly the same long eggs followed by soft shelled eggs.it was quite a worry at the time as the others were eating the softies as soon as they were layed! I realized something was going on because on collecting the eggs the normal shelled ones were yolk stained.I eventually found the softie egg before the others got to it. The hens laying the softies are in there first year and first winter so I put it down to the semi moult they were having, being that the body was not coping with the amount of calcium needed to do both. As with your hens they had ample grit,oyster shell and greens as well as a good quality layers pellets.
The stage eventually passed, but I still get the occasional long funny shaped egg, as well as some thin shelled ones. I'm hoping it all sorts out come the longer daylight hours.
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

2 people like this post.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby Hen-Gen » 30 Dec 2014, 14:41

Well that's a rum tale. Never encountered that. Is it something that just afflicts hybrids or do all chicken breeds get it?
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby jillychick » 30 Dec 2014, 18:52

Hen Gen mine are all hybrids so I honestly don't know? Any input would be gratefully appreciated as they all seem happy and healthy nothing obvious health wise except the occasional funny shaped eggs and softies. Sometimes the eggs look like they have a white dusty looking coating on them. On reading up on the subject I concluded it was calcium deposits? Which to me indicates a calcium absorption issue going on somehow? Other than wait for a bit more daylight I'm open to suggestions as to what else it could be?
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Hen-Gen » 30 Dec 2014, 19:02

Thanks for that. I await a progress report as the season turns.
Oh, to brighten everyone's day - the days are already lengthening and Spring is just around the corner!
If you have nothing
Give it away

2 people like this post.
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby jillychick » 30 Dec 2014, 19:11

Not soon enough for me we have got ice and snow here, the girls are not at all impressed with it :(
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Return to Eggs and Growers