Floor Laying

Moderator: Moderators

trekker

Floor Laying

Post by trekker » 09 Oct 2014, 09:49

I have 8 mixed chooks approx 25 weeks old and laying for about 6 weeks but 2 insist on laying on the floor of the shed or dropping them from the perch. This is in the dark before I let them out, others lay in the nest boxes at this time too. I do have a light in shed but dont want to put it on (timer) for them incase others eat the dropped eggs.
Any ideas would be welcome.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Floor Laying

Post by drfish » 09 Oct 2014, 11:55

Hi and welcome to the forum.

All you can really do is put dummy eggs in the nest boxes, and hope they take the hint. I have a hen who occasionally does the same thing, but haven't figured out which one yet. The problem is they do it while they're half comatose, and as you say, in the dark (chickens have rubbish night sight). Have you checked for the dreaded beasties (red mite) being present in the nest boxes. Sometimes that can deter them from laying in there, kind of 'once bitten, twice shy'.

Some others may have other suggestions for you, but as it's something i've never really had to deal with, I'm all out of ideas :grin:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

trekker

Post by trekker » 09 Oct 2014, 12:28

Thanks, tried the dummy eggs, will check for mites but everything new so unlikely I think.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 09 Oct 2014, 16:43

Never underestimate the power of red mites. They are cunning little b*&$£rds. Whether it's new or not, it only takes a few to fall from a passing wild bird, and in the right conditions, you'll have several thousand within 2 weeks.

Ask anyone on here who's been there (me included), no one is safe from them, whether it be new or old kit, seasoned keepers or beginners. Unless of course you have dealt the coop a good dose of Ficam within the last few months. Even creosote isn't a guarantee that they won't thrive.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.