when will moulting hens lay again ?

Moderator: Moderators

soufle
Chick
Chick

when will moulting hens lay again ?

Post by soufle » 10 Jan 2014, 22:01

my hens started moulting october /November and all except three stopped laying .Theyve feathered up nicely now and I'm wondering when they'll start laying again. I want to get some eggs in the incubator the third week in february. Is it too early to expect them to be laying by then ? Ive not put lighting in their house so theyre on natural light only but I could if it would help bring them forward a bit.. Theyre cream legbars BTW.

nigel
Hen
Hen

Re: when will moulting hens lay again ?

Post by nigel » 10 Jan 2014, 22:19

The old rule of thumb used to be that hens stopped laying bonfire night and started on valentines day, and while that is very general and modern hybrids have compressed the timing it still has some validity

It's all to do with day length and now you're getting longer days I would expect that breeds start to lay over the next few weeks.
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard

soufle
Chick
Chick

Re: when will moulting hens lay again ?

Post by soufle » 10 Jan 2014, 23:43

Thanks Nigel , by Feb 14th we should be having nearly ten hours of light a day ,if my maths is correct and we get four minutes more light per day. I knew ducks and geese were likely to lay by Valentine's day, there's an old ditty which says so!