1st egg, + shelless egg?

Moderator: Moderators

The Dirty Badger
Chick
Chick

1st egg, + shelless egg?

Post by The Dirty Badger » 05 Sep 2013, 18:19

Hey there our black nera laid her 1st egg today it had a fully formed shell but there was also an egg next to it and it didn't have any shell at all.

It look as if I had cracked an egg and removed the shell, is this anything to worry about?

The fully formed egg had some kind of membrane attached to the top have of it as well, this washed off under the tap though.

I am mainly worried about the egg without any shell at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

The Dirty Badger
Chick
Chick

Re: 1st egg, + shelless egg?

Post by The Dirty Badger » 05 Sep 2013, 18:22

Oops I have posted this is the wrong section, could a mod move it for me please

Thanks
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 05 Sep 2013, 19:28

Shell less eggs are not unusual when a hen is getting into her laying sequence. Quite often find one at the start, and sometimes at the end of the season, or when they go into moult. Not to worry.

The Dirty Badger
Chick
Chick

Post by The Dirty Badger » 05 Sep 2013, 20:05

thanks nannyp I was hoping it was something like that.

She looks a bit traumatised after laying the first one.

The Dirty Badger
Chick
Chick

Post by The Dirty Badger » 05 Sep 2013, 20:06

ooh what about the white stuff on the good egg, it wasn't poo (well I don't think so anyway)

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 06 Sep 2013, 11:21

Probably just the interior membrane, and she over produced it, or it was slow to go through the ovary tract, and got 're-packaged'. Again, probably just a starting blip. Should all settle down in the next few eggs.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.