incubator

Moderator: Moderators

smcrjj
Chick
Chick

incubator

Post by smcrjj » 24 Aug 2013, 09:53

Hi we bought a 48 egg incubator. It says on the instructions to put water in when you pop the eggs in. A friend who has a huge incubater said don't put water in untill day 17. Can anyone shed some light on this. Very confused first timer
:?

subruss

Re: incubator

Post by subruss » 24 Aug 2013, 10:05

The humidity question is something that comes with experience and there are many different views on the methods that work and in general most of them do work in the circumstance that that person has their setup. I use the if I remember to put the water in method :lol: :thumbright:

smcrjj
Chick
Chick

Post by smcrjj » 24 Aug 2013, 10:27

thankyou.. It's day 23 and we only have 11 chicks hatch out of 48. But we opened the rest and they are all yolks. Could this mean they weren't fertile to start with

Diane
Hen
Hen

Post by Diane » 24 Aug 2013, 15:35

It's always best to "candle" the eggs about 10 days after you've put them in the incubator - that way you'll be able to see clear eggs (i.e. infertile) and take them out. The fertile ones will be showing a dark area which is the growing embryo. By "candle" I mean - shine a very bright light through them. I use a maglite and do it in a dark room. You can get proper candlers - but my maglite is very good.

The reason for candling is not only so you'll know how many fertile eggs you have but also infertile eggs sometimes go bad and explode in the incubator.