Help needed with first time breeding please

Moderator: Moderators

mocktrial

Help needed with first time breeding please

Post by mocktrial » 30 Jul 2013, 06:19

Hi, this is my first post and first time reeding in an incubator. One of my chickens had a clutch of eggs and was brooding under our slurry trailer, not ideal as we needed to spread slurry after silage cutting. We estimated she had been sat for 10 days which took us to the 15th July. We had the inubator all ready and warmed and put the eggs in. We candled and all were fertile. Candled again on day 18 removed the non viable eggs and put the rest in lock down.
Nothing has happened yet? The eggs still have fully formed, live chicks in as I carefully took one out yesterday and candled again. They are all white eggs and I am wondering if the shell is too tough for the little chicks to pip through. Temp and humidity has been stable throughout. Today would be Day 24 or 25 given she may have not sat properly for the first day?
Really dont know what to do as I hate the thought of losing these little guys if they cant get out.
Any help would be appreciated and many thans in advance.

ladyplumber

Re: Help needed with first time breeding please

Post by ladyplumber » 30 Jul 2013, 08:22

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

You say that you have estimated that when you discovered the hen sitting, she'd been sat for 10 days - could you be wrong about that ?

I wouldn't intervene - the fact that not one has pipped yet suggests to me that the eggs' development isn't as advanced as you think :thumbright:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

URCHIN

Post by URCHIN » 30 Jul 2013, 08:23

Hi Mocktrail
Welcome!!
Problem is you say you estimate 10 days she's been sitting.... This is where the problem is. It's going to be hard to put any exact time on hatch day as the begging is an estimate.
I'd sit right myself and see what happens.
Good luck!!

mocktrial

Post by mocktrial » 30 Jul 2013, 09:35

Hello and thank you for the welcome. This has to be the most nerve wracking thing I have ever done. Little hen kept disappearing for a day or so and then coming back to the brood. She then went away and stayed away and we thought she had been caught by one of the silage tractors. She then turned up for food and water and we followed her back to where she had laid or stolen the eggs from one of the others!
We could very well be a day or two out and this makes it so much harder. Thank you for your help and we will sit on our hands and hope a little guy emerges. There are 10 viable eggs in there that I have seen moving around. Will let you know when something happens.

mocktrial

Post by mocktrial » 30 Jul 2013, 12:52

Update...at 11.30am I noticed my first pip. Its on the side of one of the eggs so fingers crossed this is ok?? My husband asked me if my eggs were in labour!!! Come on the rest of you, pip too.

URCHIN

Post by URCHIN » 30 Jul 2013, 13:08

That's great news!!! See sitting in your hands worked lol.

mocktrial

Post by mocktrial » 31 Jul 2013, 06:24

Hello again, all the eggs have pipped. Two have started to unzip and are now very quiet. The membrance is still intact and I am panicking as to whether he will be ok. He was cheeping last night and through the night he unzipped but has been quiet since 3.30am.
Thank you for your help. This is worse than having my own kids!

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 31 Jul 2013, 06:44

If it's pouring with rain and silage is on stop, go out for as much of the day as you can. Shopping may be boring, but it beats incubator hovering and chewing finger nails.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

mocktrial

Post by mocktrial » 31 Jul 2013, 06:55

thank you Henwife. HELP the second egg is rolling everywhere but all and I mean all the membrane is covering it I am so scared they cant get through

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 31 Jul 2013, 11:07

Have you really been up all night on incy watch? Wow, that's dedication. :grin:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

mocktrial

Post by mocktrial » 31 Jul 2013, 11:16

Have to be honest, I am a dairy farmer and get up at 3.30 every morning but have been sat there since!

drfish

Post by drfish » 31 Jul 2013, 11:38

The only 3.30 I know of in a day is the afternoon. Unless I'm rolling in from the night before (which doesn't really happen any more because I'm a lightweight and in bed by 11 usually :mrgreen: )

Kudos to you for supplying my lovely white stuff.

Any more action yet?
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

mocktrial

Post by mocktrial » 31 Jul 2013, 13:56

There really are TWO 3.30's in a day, trust me. No milking for me this afternoon though as I made Husband do it on his own as I am on chick watch. You're welcome re: the white stuff. We fill our bottles straight from the tank, not too sure its good for the old heart as its full fat.
Well, I will probably be in trouble from lots of people but I have saved 5 chicks. They were totally shrink wrapped in the membrane and the white membrane was like leather and the outer shell was rock hard calcium.
First chick died in the night, second chick I gently peeled, left in paper towel and kept going back every hour and he is fine. The other chicks were going to die anyway so I peeled back the pip, released their beak, wrapped them in towel and as the blood vessels receded I just peeled a bit more. They are all healthy and fine at the moment. The other four eggs are still wrapped in wet paper towel. This wasnt the way I expected it to be and temp and humidity seemed all ok throughout. Will let you know about the other four.
If I had left them they would have all died so please all forgive me.

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 31 Jul 2013, 14:17

mocktrial wrote: If I had left them they would have all died so please all forgive me.
Which is why I can't bear to let them go. The ones I've done in the past have grown up healthy, though I do appreciate DBE's warning about propagating faulty genes ...

drfish

Post by drfish » 31 Jul 2013, 15:55

I think it's a personal choice. I personally would save them if I can. I've watched two die that I'm sure would have survived had I intervened sooner. However, also agree from Sue's point of view, as a breeder, you want survival of the fittest, natural selection if you will. You've not done anything wrong, so I don't think Karma is waiting round the corner to give you a good spanking :grin:

Makes me wonder how the wildlife teams for Attenborough-esque programmes go without assisting animals every now and again. Although it's the right thing to do, I don't think I could stand and watch something die knowing I could do something about it. Granted, the food chain is precisely that, and should be left alone, but when an animal's in need of medical attention and they are forced to leave it to die, it's heartbreaking.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.